+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, ETHERNET CARD INSTALLATION in Technical; Hi This is my first posting, so thanks in advice for any replies I recently purchased a wireless router, actually ...

Thank Post

Smile ETHERNET CARD INSTALLATION

Hi

This is my first posting, so thanks in advice for any replies

I recently purchased a wireless router, actually a Tenda W311R+ to be exact, with the intention of using two, fairly old computers as a network.

Unfortunately the router connection would not work and I even tried to contact Virgin, my broadband supplier for advice.

Neither computer has an ethernet connection and the one that is internet connected, does so by a USB connection. Unfortunately Virgin, state that this is no longer supported, so I can not even get my second computer online, to download some free software.

However I was advised to get an ethernet card for both machines, which are apparently very cheap. Even with the one to be connected wirelessly, an initial hard-wired connection is necessary as a first step

I have opened the computers and each has spare 32bit 5V slots, where I assume the card will go.

Does anybody have a suitable link for suitable cards, from a UK based supplier ?

I've seen some for £7-£10 but are these OK .... I don't know why, but I assumed they would be much more expensive .

Many thanks !

Thank Post
    Just to be clear - are you looking to purchase PCI wireless cards or PCI ethernet cards? This may sound a little odd but you mention purchasing a wireless router then ask about ethernet - just checking you don't have things backwards here... Does your router also have multiple wired ethernet ports or do you actually want 1 ethernet card to do the initial setup then 2 wireless cards? If so, can you borrow a laptop from anyone to do the wired part - almost any laptop from within the last 5 years should have an ethernet port on board.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are these desktop machines? If so, pretty much any network card will do - the key thing you need to check is what kind of slots they've got (you're saying "old"; I'd hope that they're not so old that they don't have PCI slots but you do need to check!)

Assuming that they've got a PCI slot each then almost any NIC will do - £10 is a fair price to pay for a basic card (check it has drivers for the version of Windows you're using)

You can get much more expensive cards; you're very unlikely to need them for the sort of thing I think you're wanting to do (they come into their own on servers and very busy networks)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmkk View Post
    I recently purchased a wireless router, actually a Tenda W311R+ to be exact
    Looking this up on Google, this has a standard built-in four prt switch. Okay.

with the intention of using two, fairly old computers as a network.
    Running what operating system?

Neither computer has an ethernet connection and the one that is internet connected, does so by a USB connection.
    How? You mean it's plugged in to a USB broadband modem which is then pluygged in to the phone socket via an ADSL filter, or something else?

I have opened the computers and each has spare 32bit 5V slots
    Do you mean PCI slots?

It sounds like you want to go and get a couple of ethernet cards off eBay and plug them in. If you're running Windows XP or Ubuntu or similar they probably won't need extra drivers. £10 is a perfectly reasonable price for an ethernet card, or just get a couple from your local PC shop.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Assuming it is a pci network card that you want, something like this USRobotics 10/100 PCI Card - Ebuyer should do everything you need, for £2.19 each!

Supports Windows 98 through to XP, so should cover most old pc's, although if they are running windows 98 i'd be very cautious about using them on the internet!

Steve

Thank Post

Smile Thanks everybody !!!

I am amazed at the speed of your responses and I thank all of you. I may as well answer all your questions

OutToLunch

I bought the router, initially not knowing the technicalities of everything, but at £22.47 for a wireless N150 router and USB adapter it seemed pretty good value; actually I spotted it on the HotUKDeals web site.

There is 1 incoming socket and 4 outgoing ports.

The poor instructions with the unit do state, that you should make a hard wired connection first before going wireless. Neither computer has an Ethernet socket.

Regards the laptop, yes I could borrow one (less than 2 years old) Why do you as ?

SRochford

Yes, desk top machines, both built in 2002. Both run Windows XP, probably not originally but they have both had a few repairs carried out in the past few years. They were made and repaired by a local company who actually also maintained and supplied the computers where I work.

Yes they have PCI slots and £10 seems a fair price.

David

Yep, my internet connection up until now is cable to modem, supplied by Telewest (now Virgin) then USB cable to the USB socket on the pc. One end USBA and the other USB B

Windows XP

Steve

That seems too cheap for any remotely computer related, but of course Ebuyer is a good company. The router was bought there

Think Iíd be happier spending just a few extra quid, although I canít really explain why.

Finally, thereís a small computer store in town, so I might just pop along tomorrow and see if they have cards.

Thanks again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread