+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, IE - Not loading External Page first time :( in Technical; I am currently having issues with IE (seems to affect IE6, 7 and 8). When users try to launch a ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy IE - Not loading External Page first time :(

I am currently having issues with IE (seems to affect IE6, 7 and 8). When users try to launch a new IE window where it is targeted at an external page (or set through home page) IE hangs for a couple of minutes before finally giving up and displaying "this page cannot be found". If i refresh the page it works perfectly! I have tested this in a few scenarios and have discovered that it does not affect Admins (only staff and Students) and that it is definately only External pages that dont load as IE works fine when it is set to open our local Intranet Site. I suspect that this is being caused by something in IE Group Policy but am a little bit stumped (and hugely overworked since the other IT Technician Resigned out of the blue at the start of September).

I have already tried checking Bloxx Login Scripts (LEA Provide our internet Connection/ Filtering etc etc), Have tried disabling IE Popup Blocker (no luck) and have avoided the problem by installing Sharepoint Services and setting as homepage but really need to get this sorted....

any advice would be hugely appreciated

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had a similar problem eons ago IIRC. Check the 'HTTP1.1 through proxy' in the IE options > Advanced tab.

3. 3 Thanks to webman:

bossman (10th November 2009), stariq (10th November 2009), Zenden (10th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Been having this exact issue for the past few weeks, a right old noggin scratcher

Cheers webman will take a peek at the GPOs tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Another thanks from me too webman

Thank Post

Talking Cheers Webman

That seems to have done the job (sort of). I can now launch new windows from an already open window but cant target the first ie window at anything external (have tried adding desktop shortcut to ucas.co.uk and it still just hangs and needs a refresh). It seems to have sorted out my google search on my Sharepoint site though (opens results page in new window) so thanks a lot webman

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Zenden: Ok, not sure about that. But as a workaround, I would: create a static HTML page stored locally that will act as the homepage, and then just have this re-direct to your external URL of choice.

Useful info/example here: The Meta Refresh

8. Thanks to webman from:

Zenden (10th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Out of curiosity do you have the same problems with FF? This would allow you to determine whether it as an IE issue or something else.

If you create a temporary pupil user then give them administrator rights, do they still have the same problem?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Out of curiosity do you have the same problems with FF? This would allow you to determine whether it as an IE issue or something else.

If you create a temporary pupil user then give them administrator rights, do they still have the same problem?
    Have only had limited time to look at the problem due to inheriting the worst network ever (thats another story though....conficker......tattooed registry with entries that point to servers that dont exist......lack of security updates......no antivirus console installed for updates/monitoring etc etc.....) but i will try firefox tomorow morning and get back to you (new Techie started yesterday so have been trying to help him settle)

Will give a testpupil a go with local admin rights, and see what happens. Although i suspect the problem lies in admins having a different set of IE GPs to students and staff (I didn't design them, i just inherited them...). Ticking the Box for HTTP 1.1 through proxy seems to have helped a bit so i suspect that there is an obscure setting somewhere else in the IE GPs that i have missed.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @Zenden: Ok, not sure about that. But as a workaround, I would: create a static HTML page stored locally that will act as the homepage, and then just have this re-direct to your external URL of choice.

Useful info/example here: The Meta Refresh
    Cheers mate, will try the meta refresh for staff ( Head has created an online web page for staff with Google Calendar, Googlemail etc. i deployed desktop links for this to staff but they had to refresh). In the end i setup sharepoint which then has a link to the page and works fine since it isnt the first page it loads but it would be better if this would work - thanks webman - Useful tip

I am beginning to think it would be best just to copy the policies from My admins OU and test it changing one setting at a time - time consuming but guaranteed to work. If Meta Refresh can keep the Staff / Head happy in the meantime then i will be forever in your debt!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread