+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall and Xen in Technical; Been distracted since I first saw this thread this morning, so apologies for the delay. I've always had great difficultly ...

Thank Post
    Been distracted since I first saw this thread this morning, so apologies for the delay. I've always had great difficultly determining what people are talking about with the difference between (using aforementioned terminology) "hardcore" Xen and citrix Xen. I've only used the Citrix one which was effortless to install SW software.

Now I haven't had the pleasure of getting my hands dirty with the hardcore stuff, but I gather from one of my colleagues that

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    The VM's config file configures networking in the following way:

Code:
    vif = ['type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0', 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr1']
    causes problems as Xen likes to give it a new MAC address every time it reboots. Smoothie currently evaluates this as a new network card and hence causes all sorts of problems.

I am lead to believe that doing something like

Code:
    vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=eth0, mac=00:16:3E:23:8D:36' ]
    to hard-code a MAC address in there will stop this. That's the way VMware and the like configure their VMs.

As I said though, i've yet to try this myself - I'll have a chat with the main guy here who deals with the hardcore xen stuff when he returns from a brief hol on Monday if there's anything else.

And to reiterate, Citrix Xenserver seems trouble free. If only the naming wasn't as confusing.

2. Thanks to rob_f from:

dhicks (26th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_f View Post
    Xen likes to give it a new MAC address every time it reboots
    Indeed. Typed the previous message, thought "hang on a minute...", changed the VM's configuration, all works fine now. Then checked back here and found the answer waiting for me :-)

Incedently, I also had a bit of a problem getting SmoothWall to see the harddisks provided by Xen. In the end, this worked:

Code:
    disk = ['file:/mnt/ACSGATEWAY003OS/ACSGATEWAY003OS.img,ioemu:hda,w']
    I.e. a file sat on an ext2 filesystem contained in an LVM volume, which is probably a few more layers of adstraction than is stricly healthy.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    My random wondering from earlier was correct

5. Thanks to Willott from:

rob_f (26th November 2009)

Thank Post
    I've been looking at SmoothWall (primarily Guardian filtering) on Amazon Cloud. I got it working but it's a lot of effort. Once working it's great and can provide a nice cluster (resizeable easily) of load balanced Guardians authing against, for example, an Active Directory. But initial set up is very hard. Making it not hard is high on our priority list. The reason it's hard includes issues like AC does not have a console so it's not possible to interactively solve networking issues if you can't ssh to it. They also don't allow you to run your own Kernel.

Imran has Network Guardian working on a standard Debian with standard apt-get-able xen. The NG requires no modifications and works happily and can have updates including new kernels and reboot and is great. This is in un-modified guest mode. He had to do things like robf listed like give it a static mac address and some networking stuff I don't understand. But these were just config options and the NG is unmodified and fully standard production.

7. Thanks to Danielbarron from:

tom_newton (27th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Daniel,

I've spoken to Imran before, and he was also looking to get the kernel modified to allow for full xen support and better speed (it does seem to run fairly slowly in Xen currently), so when there's a beta, we'd be more than happy to test it for you!

Amazon cloud sounds very interesting - would you be looking to load balance through RRDNS or some form of IP load balancing? Sounds like it may be a very good base for an ISP filtering solution!

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    I've spoken to Imran before, and he was also looking to get the kernel modified to allow for full xen support and better speed (it does seem to run fairly slowly in Xen currently), so when there's a beta, we'd be more than happy to test it for you!
    It does not feel like it's slow although I've done no specific tests. Yes Imran was going to do that at some point. However I beat him to it with AC which is one way. Another is to add the xen patches to the kernel. When there is anything to test I will let you know but it will be some time away.

Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Amazon cloud sounds very interesting - would you be looking to load balance through RRDNS or some form of IP load balancing? Sounds like it may be a very good base for an ISP filtering solution!
    AC provides a load balancer. Info here: Elastic Load Balancing

Works great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielbarron View Post
    Once working it's great and can provide a nice cluster (resizeable easily) of load balanced Guardians authing against, for example, an Active Directory.
    Could a school (or LA) use this to provide a filtered connection from home - give pupils laptops usable at home and school that always went through an Amazon Cloud-based filter?

Does the Active Directory server also have to be cloud based, or does that run on servers inside the school somewhere?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Could a school (or LA) use this to provide a filtered connection from home - give pupils laptops usable at home and school that always went through an Amazon Cloud-based filter?
    Theoretically, yes. We do hope to do something like this in time. We may be up for a spot of further experimentation to see where we need to improve. If this is something that you'd be really interested in, PM me or daniel, can't promise anything but we will certainly take a look at the idea with you.

Does the Active Directory server also have to be cloud based, or does that run on servers inside the school somewhere?
    Pass. That's one of the questions we'd need to answer. Certainly some method of securing the link between AD and filter is required - though amazon I believe offer a VPN. Wether the present (or next-gen (SOON!)) auth daemon would perform well over latent links isnt something we have tried - so it may need an alternate method, or maybe some fiddling with the auth cache. Again, this is on our "to play with" list, and we would welcome your input.

Thank Post
    Yes. You could do the same with a cluster of hosted NG on VMs or real boxes too. I have a test set up if you want to try it PM me.

Amazon provide VPN from the cloud to your LAN. Although I've not yet tried it. The AD could be on your LAN or in the cloud. The one I set up was in the cloud. Actually you could have one on the LAN and a VPN to one in the cloud in the same domain.

Once filtering is hosted/cloud you will need some way of authenticating the user so it knows that you, first of all, have permission to use the proxy and which policy to apply and who you are for reporting and logging purposes. On a LAN you can use NTLM and thus have single sign-on and nothing to do when you start web browsing. To solve this for hosted you have to use auth methods that can go through the internet and it may require client software to do this depending on what you want to do. Plus a roaming laptop may be more tricky to lock down compared to a static PC on a LAN. So there's a number of interesting and different challenges.

Thank Post

Smoothwall on xen

Hi all,
    I'm new to xen and trying to run smoothwall express as a guest host on a Debian install with xen. At some point I might also install windows home server as a guest but right now my interest goes to the smoothwall install.
    From what I understand I can install guest os's paravirtualized or the HVM way. I'm guessing smoothwall will have to go HVM but wanted to check out this thread since you seem to do this already.
    Do any of you have a config file for smoothwall and am I going the right direction ?
    And yes, I am well aware that people advice to run smoothwall on its own hardware. I still like to try this.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Yeah - you're right - paravirtualization won't work... yet

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Yeah - you're right - paravirtualization won't work... yet
    Come on, spill the beans :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by az_r2d1 View Post
    Come on, spill the beans :-)
    Next "full" (not feature pack) release. No news just yet, but you will hear it here 1st

Thank Post
    Next "full" (not feature pack) release. No news just yet, but you will hear it here 1st
    Thanks Tom,
    When is that expected, roughly ?
    I assume this will also be available in SE ?

Thank Post
    Hmm, how cost-effective is it to get you drunk enough at Bett to spill the beans? What's the beer-to-information ratio?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast