+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, IE8 Drops Proxy server usernames and passwords in Technical; Good Morning all, this morning i was confronted with a large problem involving IE8 and our proxy server, our staff ...
    Thank Post

IE8 Drops Proxy server usernames and passwords

Good Morning all,

this morning i was confronted with a large problem involving IE8 and our proxy server, our staff users authenticate using there username and password that is set on the proxy server itself, they have no problems in a single session, they can exit out of IE8 and go back onto it and it will remember there UN and PW, but if that user then logs off and logs back on it has forgotton there UN and PW. The headteacher of our school believes this to be a security threat as staff have to keep entering there details and with kids being kids there prying eyes are all around. I have checked the Auto-complete settings in Group Policy but as this isnt really an autocomplete issue, and as expected did not work.

if someone has experienced this or knows anything about it, your help would be very welcome

Thank Post
    It sounds more like you have an issue with storing network passwords within a profile than IE8 doing anything odd - are you using mandatory profiles?

Thank Post
    Does your proxy not support NTLM auth? Not sure if I read this right but you have all your user/staff accounts created on your proxy aswell aswell as in AD / LDAP?

Doesn't sound like an IE8 problem so much to me rather the config of your proxy server.

Thank Post
    The affected accounts do not have manditory profiles, and yes we have users in AD and on our proxy server we don't intergrate active directory with our proxy server

Thank Post
    Hi, I'm from the same IT dept as Lerswin, thanks for the responses so far We would have responded more if this specific thread wasn't blocked by our LEA (heavy-handed keyword filtering, we think....)

To clarify the situation - when users access the internet, the proxy box (a Cachepilot) authenticates them locally via a second logon. We previously had the Cachepilot authenticating transparently through AD, but this caused problems with the Cachepilot when we altered users' AD group membership on the fly so as to change their level of web access (e.g. banning students, or elevating there access in some cases).

The way we are set up now is that the school students log on to the web using a generic shared username, authenticated on the Cachepilot, and receive whitelisted access. They have mandatory profiles and whether or not IE8 remembers their credentials (it doesn't, of course) is not an issue.

College students and staff log on to the web using unique credentials, authenticated on the Cachepilot, and receive various levels of blacklist filtered web access. The students have mandatory profiles, and again this problem is not particularly an issue for them. The staff have normal roaming profiles, with app data included. I would expect IE8 to store their credentials if they tick the "remember my password" box, but once they relog, it's gone.

My immediate thoughts were that it was a profile issue, but the curious thing is that Firefox (3.5.x) remembers staff credentials just fine. I've also tried setting up a pc with IE7 and that works fine with a staff test account too.

Apart from wishing we hadn't bothered rolling out IE8, I'm a bit stumped with this one!

Thanks again for any thought anyone might be able to offer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread