+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Teacher Laptops - Internet Settings when offline in Technical; What's the best way to configure teacher laptops so that when they take them home, they can still log on, ...
    Thank Post

Teacher Laptops - Internet Settings when offline

What's the best way to configure teacher laptops so that when they take them home, they can still log on, do work, use their own Internet connection and generally mess about , but when they bring them back to school, the Internet connection still works and does not trash their home settings?

When XPs logon cacheing, teachers can go home and still use their network logon. Offline folders mean that their 'My Documents' folder will also be available to work on. The real hassle is Internet.

If I set up local logons, then we get into the issue of transferring files and file permissions (yucky). Also, if laptop needs rebuilding, it's more complex to automate the rebuild.

Any suggestions or experiences welcome

Thank Post

Re: Teacher Laptops - Internet Settings when offline

Main problem tends to be proxies.

I found a plugin for Firefox, though its name escapes me now, that lets you choose whether or not to usse a proxy and which proxy to use.

If they say they 'can't use' Firefox - tell them where to stick the laptop!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

We give them 2 accounts ... a domain account which is locked down ... and a local machine account which makes them a local admin, allowing them to break it by sticking on their own ISP, pronters, games etc ...

But we do check them regularily and just wipe it when it plays up too much.

Teachers have learnt to live with it, and the fact that we set up a c:/work folder for them to use to store thing in rather than always using their network kome area means that we don't have 90GB of rubbish on the server. Nearly all the laptops have CD-RW drives and so they have the responsibility for backing up their work. Anything that is really important can be on the server, and Schemes of Work, etc are meant to be stored in the departmenal shares anyway ... so the rubbish is usually movies, pictures and music.

The staff have learnt to live with it and it runs quite smoothly now.

Thank Post

That was my plan GrumbleDook

Altho previously, I've had to set up their dialup connection for them (!!) but now i wont bother. If they cant shell out for a measly ammount of money for a home computer, then why should I do more than my share either eh?

Local Admin - big no no here. Limited User is all they are gonna get from me lol

Cheers
    N.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel

Local Admin - big no no here. Limited User is all they are gonna get from me lol
    Call it rope to hang themselves with ... if they follow our instructions things are fine ... if they don't then they bugger things up and have to come to us to get it fixed.

Other than one person (who seems to be jinxed with no matter what machine we give her ... just taking it from our office to hers it will go pear-shaped) we very rarely have people come back with a problem a second time ...

It must be our sparkling personalities

Thank Post

We do the same as Tony. Tends to make things a little easier, and apart from the odd *oddball* everything is dandy. I think. But then they woudlb't admit to many problems, would they?

:-)

Paul

Thank Post

We give them 2 accounts ... a domain account which is locked down ... and a local machine account which makes them a local admin, allowing them to break it by sticking on their own ISP, pronters, games etc ...

But we do check them regularily and just wipe it when it plays up too much.
    Yes we also do the same as Grumbledook, We even set up a shared folder and put shortcuts on the all users desktop. Most of them back up but others.......well. One teacher had loads of personal holiday photos on the laptop. Thing corrupt, we asked if she had backed up her work and she replied yes..!we just re-imaged it. (she just meant school work)

She backs up all her work now........!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    I found a plugin for Firefox, though its name escapes me now, that lets you choose whether or not to usse a proxy and which proxy to use.
    http://www.roundtwo.com/product/switchproxy

Thank Post

lol @ Tony

I'd rather them not come to me if they mess it up because they were a local admin - dont need that extra work

Same goes for any machine tho - not just laptops. Haven't needed to give anyone a local admin yet, and i dont plan to change that anytime soon lol I have got a local user for the RM SecureNet program we use in the county. For another topic but the guy at RM said that only the user it was installed on can use it and if any other user uses it, it will mess up the installation (nice work RM, nice work *groans*). Any suggestions here PM me or make a new thread for me

@tosca:

Lucky she didnt kill you. I had evils from a teacher after the laptop him and his wife (both teachers at the school) messed up big time and lost the profiles (of course, that could have been me tinkering with the settings and forgetting not to allow laptops to remove local cached profiles hehe).

Had to run a recovery program to get the work back - not the easiest of things to use but managed to get alot of it back tho - tho some was inevitably lost He finished at the school this term but wasn't the happiest with me since it happened tho (wonder why? lol). I've explain to his wife today and made a full backup onto cd of the work on and off the laptop so she has a copy - they have no management of storing files - not making life easier.

I've promptly given her the local machine logon and told her to save her work in C:\Work\$Username$ - I redirected the My Docs folder manually to there too because these ppl always forget lol.

Lets hope it works for her

Regards
    Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@tarquel

One thing we have noticed about giving local admin rights is that we have raised the level of expectation of the staff.

In other words, they are expected to be more confident with using IT, and more competent too ... We are showing a level of trust and they have to back that up by actually following instructions and being responsible.

And since this is the exact attitude that is taken with the students for a number of things we can get away with it.

However, prove to us that you are without clue and you get the 3rd degree about everything you do with IT ... basically abuse it and you lose it. We treat staff and students alike with that ... hence why we also only have one AUP for everyone.

Thank Post

@tarquel

Lucky she didnt kill you.
    Well she hardly talks to either of us now apart from the odd grunt.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    @tarquel

Lucky she didnt kill you.
    Well she hardly talks to either of us now apart from the odd grunt.
    Sounds familiar

@Tony:

Hey - I'm not knocking it It sounds a good idea - but each school is different that all.

The admin staff for example think that they can install whatever programs they like - regardless of licensing - so they now cannot see the C drive or access it. Same goes for the D drive. Currently have to leave the A drive available as some *still* use floppy for things - as stupid as that is when it comes to storing work on them. Of course, all standard locked-down users that cant install stuff - lovely

...as I dont care how much they *need* a program.

No license & no cash for it = no chance lol

Cheers
    n.

Thank Post

At Hodgson, ive written a small vbs script that disables internet explorers proxy settings when they login with a local account. This allows them to use whatever dial up/cable account they have at home since 99.9% of isps dont require a proxy to be entered.
    When they log in to the network the GP applies our proxy settings.
    For work stored on their laptop I give their network username full access to 'documents and settings\localusername\my documents\' and add a short cut to c:\documents and settings\%username%\my documents to the staffs network desktop.
    This means they can acces their laptops harddisk for offline work they have saved and also their network files (my documents).

Thank Post

I have found that not restricting access to the connections tab and the lan settings in GPO the teacher can access this area and just put the tick ni the box or remove it. Works for us here though teachers to winge a little about doing that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Slightly more complex solution is to use an autoconfiguration script.

http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/proxypac.html

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast