+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall YouTube Cache? in Technical; Hi All, I'm currently evaluating Smoothwall Network Guardian and have the filtering rules going well at the minute. I have ...
    Thank Post

Smoothwall YouTube Cache?

Hi All,

I'm currently evaluating Smoothwall Network Guardian and have the filtering rules going well at the minute. I have another question that one of you might be able to help answer....

Is it possible to Cache YouTube videos using Smoothwall?

I have a Samsung MagicNet LCD screen in reception which i've made a nice web kiosk for. Part of the screen is devoted to a YouTube playlist where various videos are played.
    It's all nice and professional looking until the video pauses at peak usage times.

It would be ideal if Smoothie could cache the videos from the YouTube playlist so that it wouldn't have to have to stream them from the Internet another 50+ times per day etc - is that possible?

Cheers

Thank Post
    What happens if your outside line breaks for a week? Better to serve them up from inside.

Thank Post
    That's kind of what I'm asking though...
    If Smoothwall was able to cache the videos from my YouTube playlist then the system could still work if / when the Internet became unavailable?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Could you not just download the videos from youtube, save them and run them on the web kiosk from the servers etc

Thank Post
    Technically I could but I'd like to investigate the cache possibility more, as it gives a decent amount of flexibility (mainly in terms of non-technical staff searching for content, adding to the playlist and having it picked up on screens etc)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I see what you mean by that, but you could set it up so that they download the video, plop it into a folder on a shared drive and the kiosk plays all the videos in the folder selected, or you could do it so they put videos in there, somebody has to watch the video and agree it goes onto the screen and moves it across to the web kiosk, otherwise you could get some kids put a silly video in there that is then being displayed in the reception area untill you realise that it has been done!!

Thank Post
    Again, I could if I played around a bit (and figured our how to change the coding lol!)
    The beauty of the YouTube system means access to videos anywhere on that site, ability to upload our own without worrying about storage, and ability to give the username and password to key staff (Headteacher, Reception etc) to update the list without bothering me or any other techy person!

Thank Post
    I think Tom was looking at this last week. He's off getting married now though for three weeks - i'll see if i can find out for you what can be done.

Thanks!

Rob.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_f View Post
    I think Tom was looking at this last week. He's off getting married now though for three weeks
    Well how very inconsiderate of him! In term time as well! Terrible!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_f View Post
    I think Tom was looking at this last week. He's off getting married now though for three weeks - i'll see if i can find out for you what can be done.
    Thanks for that - much appreciated!
    I did speak with someone on the support line yesterday (unfortunately I didn't note the name - doh!), who said to try altering cache sizes and unique download sizes on the web proxy section - I did this and it didn't make any difference

Cheers

Thank Post
    Could squid not give you something along the lines of what you are looking for? Not used squid myself but it might be worth looking into.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread