+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Samlearning.com So Slowwww (Please Test) in Technical; the speed is not too bad today for me I will keep testing. Anyone else having problems? BTW our passwords ...
    Thank Post
    the speed is not too bad today for me
    I will keep testing.

Anyone else having problems?

BTW our passwords got changed also

Thank Post
    • Opening in IE 8 - Crashes, or takes ages to load.
    • Open in Mozilla Firefox - almost instantaneously loads.

Thank Post
    Ie6
    Ie7 and firefox random speeds for me

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just been moaned at here, Sam Learning really slow. Appears to freeze the browser, but does eventually load, by that time the User has lost interest.

Not happy; I get grief when a company has changed their system.

Pete

Thank Post
    Yeah, it's still really slooooow here too.

... and another thing

... for some reason they've decided to delete all of our users and re-create them and as a consequence most (about 75%) of our user names are now what they class as 'unusual' so they've stuck numbers at the end. This has confused our students and teachers no end because they were virtually all unique last year and now no-one can log in with their old user name. Why oh why can't they add a unique school identifier onto the user name (school number or similar) so that this doesn't happen - or let us upload a list of user names/passwords? Did they seriously not think that duplicate names would appear with the system that they use?

I'm really fed up with them this term.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just been on to their Support Line.

They have confirmed there is a problem and are looking into it. SMT not happy at all as our contract is up for renewal in January and this I think has put the nail in the coffin.

They gave no indication of what it causing the problem, but feel they are close to fixing it.

Pete

Thank Post
    We had an external trainer come in last week to show some teachers SAM Learning, and he asked me to install Google Chrome on the PC he was going to use because "it's so slow in Internet Explorer now". He then said I needed to install it on all the School PCs just so the kids could run SAM Learning at a decent speed. I told him no chance, as we only use IE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    He then said I needed to install it on all the School PCs just so the kids could run SAM Learning at a decent speed. I told him no chance, as we only use IE.
    You may find this interesting. Myself and other members on here have found IE slow or unresponsive (with various sites/applications) and I have recently deployed Firefox with locked down settings. If you need specific proxy, exceptions and homepage settings I can help

Thank Post

sam learning

Have been directed here by our support team. We have had some speed issues with the new service which by the way has ditched java to run activities and now is totally flash based. We have found issues with IE6 in XP, the odd issue with IE7 and IE8 depending on currency of update and problesm with web filters with security set very high. We think we have cracked most of the problems with speed and as of this morning the site is running much faster.
    If you have issues still call or email our support team - contact details on footer of web page.
    regards Mike T

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Hi Mike, I don't use your product/website, but I'm curious (as I am sure others are), why is all your website secure? This adds quite a bit of overhead especially if schools have slow internet connections with many users.

Typically logon pages or user areas should be secure, but everything else should be unsecure for faster browsing speeds.

Ash

Thank Post
    There is always an alternative:

iamlearning

I am learning is a games-based revision system designed to motivate students for longer
    than traditional methods.

They were really helpful for us and will arrange you a demo in minuets

http://www.iamlearning.co.uk/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    We had an external trainer come in last week to show some teachers SAM Learning, and he asked me to install Google Chrome on the PC he was going to use because "it's so slow in Internet Explorer now". He then said I needed to install it on all the School PCs just so the kids could run SAM Learning at a decent speed. I told him no chance, as we only use IE.
    I'm sorry you had this information from your visitor - we use freelance people to support schools and what he told you is not company policy. We state we support IE and Firefox. Have tested Chrome and got erratic performance and poor reading of Java script and flash

Regards
    Mike T

Thank Post
    We now have a Service update on our post login website to keep you up to date with bug fixes on the new service. Speed issues have been sorted and this had resolved the browser issues schools were reporting. One or two reporting issues remain to be fixed but all work is being recorded.

Our home page is where teachers and pupils login to the service - that's why it is https. Main reason for the change was that teachers were often sharing the generic staff login with students who had forgotten their login passwords. Now teachers are being required to set up a personal login.

Just to let you know that Penda Learning is our new service for schools in the US. It used to be called SAM Learning US in the pilot phase and was renamed in September. It uses the same website layout and back end functionality to mark work but has very different content. We cover just two subjects at present - Science and Math (American spelling) For a while this site was coming up as the top result when you Googled SAMLEARNING which was rather unhelpful.
    Regards Mike T

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123