+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet Connections - What do you have? in Technical; Originally Posted by Virtual_Jas Before we became an academy, i had a dedicated 10mbps cable connection from the local council. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual_Jas View Post
    Before we became an academy, i had a dedicated 10mbps cable connection from the local council. Lord knows why ULT cut them off and stuck us with the ADSL....
    They've been pretty good round here. The one academy open has stuck with the RBC and the next one planned under ULT is also sticking with the RBC too. They are even on the upgrade program too.

Thank Post
    We agreed to become a guinea pig for the council, and ended up with a wireless bridge. Get around 80 Mb internet xD

Thank Post
    We have a 10mb fibre link into the LA / Council WAN.

But I have also checked with other companies, and can get a link through either Redstone or Virgin Media, both which cost about £8k pa, for the same speed. Although I do have to sign up to a 5 year contract, as otherwise there is a £7k connection fee, which I think would mean we had yet another ISDN/fibre line into our server room.

Thank Post
    Newby here: Why are prices for lines quoted in the £k's of pounds range? When I search for business broadband packages there's a myriad of choices on 24Mb, unlimited connections for £50/month price range.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstucke View Post
    Newby here: Why are prices for lines quoted in the £k's of pounds range? When I search for business broadband packages there's a myriad of choices on 24Mb, unlimited connections for £50/month price range.
    Because expensive lines are synchronous, meaning you send and receive at the same speed. Cheap lines, like ADSL, are asynchronous, meaning your upload speed is pathetic (the assumption is that if you're just surfing the web and so on, you're going to download a lot more than you upload, so the purposes of the limited frequencies available on a copper line are biased accordingly).

Thank Post
    2mb SDSL line for email and vpn with a separate ADSL2 12mb/1mb for internet traffic with DG/squid.

Internet traffic does not touch the leased line although the DNS server does use it for external DNS resolution.

In the coming year I will most likely be adding another ADSL2 load balanced with the SDSL for an cheap extra 1mb upload for burst traffic.

SDSL has been flawless.
    Last edited by KK20; 2nd September 2009 at 08:56 AM.

Thank Post
    100MB leased line for £20k pa - bought through a Virgin Media reseller (VM couldn't get any where near the price!)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    10/10 leased fibre line

6k a year with easynet. 7k install.
    Last edited by zag; 2nd September 2009 at 11:27 AM.

Thank Post
    We are out in the sticks here with ADSL running at 512k. I use a service from upstream internet.

This allows me to bond together 2 (or more) ADSL lines giving us a 1meg down 1.4meg up speed. But this can work with any ADSL and also they now have a service that can bond other isps as well as mobile solutions.

So you could simply bond 2 of your 4meg lines giving you an 8 meg connection. Basically they provide a PCI adsl card for each line, I popped these into an old P4 machine as the router and then run their linux cd on the PC. Its been up and running 24/7 stop for the past two years. If you can afford it you can bond as many lines as you like.

Cheers

John

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12