+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Exchange Mailboxes in Technical; My C:\ Drive on my exchange server had 256kb free so i ran the disk cleanup wizard and got it ...
    Thank Post

Exchange Mailboxes

My C:\ Drive on my exchange server had 256kb free so i ran the disk cleanup wizard and got it back to about 70/80mb. I then decided to check the mailbox store in system manager to see if there were any redundant mailboxes that i hadnt deleted, there were about 150 about 20/30 were over 100mb each so i quickly purged these thinking that it would instantly release this space but of course not!!

The server is now back down to 13mb free and the services have crashed as they need more space so i am without email i have been through and deleted all the un-install files for msupdates and emptied all temporary files!

Is there any way that i can empty these mailboxes that i have deleted?

Thanks

Dan

Thank Post
    Exchange also creates 5mb log files everyday I have to sometimes del these manually although carefully as some are still in use and valid system files. Look in c:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\ files start with EX****** if these files are there you could clear several gig of space.

Thank Post
    I also think has default Exchange keeps deleted mailboxes for 30 days after deletion.

Thank Post
    Have you checked how long you keep deleted mailboxes? Have a look in the Mailbox Store properties under limits.

Lol AliG beat me to it.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Where abouts are your Mailbox and Log files located?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Exchange also creates 5mb log files everyday I have to sometimes del these manually although carefully as some are still in use and valid system files. Look in c:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\ files start with EX****** if these files are there you could clear several gig of space.
    FYI, you can relocate the IIS log directory and you can create a script to delete the logs on a schedule.

Thank Post
    Only about 20 files there totalling 3mb

I also think has default Exchange keeps deleted mailboxes for 30 days after deletion.
    Yep it was now changed to 1

Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Where abouts are your Mailbox and Log files located?
    Students Mailstore - D:\Program Files\Exchange Server
    Staff Mailstore - C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA

Have currently got all staff users that have got rather large mailboxes emptying deleted items and archiving anything over a year old.

Oh to top it all some numpty kid just turned the power off to the air con and the server room temp went up to 45C instantly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Have currently got all staff users that have got rather large mailboxes emptying deleted items and archiving anything over a year old.
    You can setup a policy to delete mails that are x days old, have a look at this thread:

Exchange 2003 - Delete emails after a certain amount of time

Thank Post
    Why don't you just move the staff mailstore to the D: drive, or am I missing something?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Exchange creates 2 kinds of log files; the ones you mention are from IIS and are the logs for OWA - as you say, these can (and should!) be deleted regularly.

The other log files MUST NOT be deleted manually; they will be deleted when a successful backup takes place. The files will be in the MDBDATA folder - if you have any dated earlier than your last backup then (a) your backup isn't working and (b) they will take up lots of space until your back up works.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use eseutil to do a defragment and compress of the offending mailbox store using a different drive as a temp area, this should shrink it a bit and also do a backup which should clear out those nasty logs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    You can setup a policy to delete mails that are x days old, have a look at this thread:

Exchange 2003 - Delete emails after a certain amount of time
    Thanks have set this up

Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Why don't you just move the staff mailstore to the D: drive, or am I missing something?
    Not enough room on d drive

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Use eseutil to do a defragment and compress of the offending mailbox store using a different drive as a temp area, this should shrink it a bit and also do a backup which should clear out those nasty logs.
    may well do this over the weekend on my test server. Can i use the eseutil on another server that is not exchange?

I have just managed to shrink one users mailbox size from 1.6gb down to 800mb by emptying the deleted items and setting up archiving to archive everything before the start of last financial year (its the bursars mailbox). Off to see 3 other users with mailboxes over 1.5gb now to try and achieve the same, i presume i will get this data back after the retention time on the emails has gone as discussed earlier??

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just run a backup with backupexec or something, it will purge the log files after this is done.

Thank Post
    Have you checked your badmail foder?
    Maybe you should consider using quota's.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Just run a backup with backupexec or something, it will purge the log files after this is done.
    Just ran a backup job on backup exec and it got halfway through and it stopped because the exchange server filled the c drive again even though i just cleared 150mb on it so it stopped the services and the backup job failed!!!

There is 410mb of E000****.log worth of log files in c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata that is obviously what the backup will achieve but it cant complete because it fills the damn drive up to quickly

Is there a way i can stop users from connecting to it but still let the backup server see it to do the backup?? as what i think is doing is that its where the users are recieving new emails and then this then copies the emails onto the exchange server!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzz View Post
    Have you checked your badmail foder?
    Maybe you should consider using quota's.
    What is a badmail folder??? Yes i have considered using quotas but this exchange server was set up before my time so its set up weirdly! I am having virtual servers installed in 3 weeks and my first job will be to create a nice shiny new exchange server possibly 2007 if im feeling brave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast