+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Need a home router... in Technical; I currently have a Cisco 800 as my home ADSL router, but i need to replace it, BUT i'm struggling ...
    Thank Post

Need a home router...

I currently have a Cisco 800 as my home ADSL router, but i need to replace it, BUT i'm struggling to find a normal everyday router that will do what i do with my Cisco 800.

What i need it to do is, my broadband providor gives me 8 static public IP's (Zen). Currently i have the DHCP leased PC's/Phones/etc going through 1 of the public IP's and i have 5 static IP's i can assign to make a machine public.

Anybody know of a everyday router that allows you to do this? Most only have 1 tick box for DMZ, not allowing you to assign many to be public..... or if they allow you to that you cannot have 1 Public address for internet access for any machine that gets a DHCP assigned address...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds rather a lot more than a consumer router will do... However, have you looked at any of the Linksys WRT54G routers, as you can install a replacement open source firmware on them which you can do what you want with.

Or something like this? LinITX.com - LinITX ALIX 2D0 LX700 (2NIC) m0n0wall Firewall Kit A picoITX box, which you can install what you like on?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you asked Zen if they can recommend one as it must be something required for their service to be useful...
    the other thing you could do is get 2 routers and have your public facing servers on one connection and have everthing else going though the secondary router: Internet > DMZ (First router) > LAN (Second Router from first)

Thank Post
    Linux router? Endian or Smoothwall.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I agree with what DAckroyd said, best way to get a DMZ is just to use two routers. It's more secure too (as your servers and workstations are then separated by a firewall).

Another PC based router/firewall is IP Cop, I've tried it and been quite impressed with it. It's reasonably configurable and supports multiple lan cards.

Also, Freesco is intended to run on a PC and give you an alternative to using a Cisco router. I don't know how effective it is but it may be worth checking it out. If it lives up to its claims it should be good...

Thank Post
    if you get a Nice CISCO man to sort you out a config the 800 will dish out 4 of the 5 ip addresses on to your net work down side is you cant have DHCP and 1 IP gets taken for the router..

i had lots of customers with a Cisco 800 from bulldog on that setup..

Thank Post
    Last edited by Cools; 27th May 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    cheep router
    thinkbroadband :: Billion Bipac 5100S ADSL modem/router review

snip

The router itself has a built in ADSL modem and NAT functionality, and as of November 2004 retails for £40.89 including VAT. The unit can be used on either a static or dynamic single IP address ADSL account, or the NAT function can be disabled for people who have a block of static IP addresses. The router has UPnP, which is seeing an upsurge in use again now that applications like Bit Torrent support it. Also for home workers, it has support for VPN Passthrough. The firewall relies heavily on the basic functionality of NAT, but you can block a few limited services to increase the security.

TNE
    Thank Post
    Im selling some 3COM OfficeConnect Remote 810 ADSL Routers for a customer. I dont know technically if they do what you want but if you want to take a look if of any use then I can offer a good price.

Although an older model they are new in the sense of they have never been opened or used.

3COM Router - Computer Networking and Data Cabling products

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread