+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Bulldog Broadband driving me insane!! in Technical; At the home office I have a Bulldog 16 meg ADSL connection, I've had it for three years or so ...
    Thank Post

Bulldog Broadband driving me insane!!

At the home office I have a Bulldog 16 meg ADSL connection, I've had it for three years or so and it's been relatively trouble free all that time.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a dramatic drop in DL speed, it was running around 2 meg. I reported the fault and it was fixed, speeds were back to the normal 12 - 14 meg that I've always had.

Just over a week ago the connection bombed out completely so another call to taiwan or wherever the hell their, now rubbish, tech support is based. When they had UK call centres it was good but since Pipex took them over it's been the pits, however, until now it didn't really impinge on me because it's been trouble free..... anyway, back to the plot...

It has been nothing but trouble ever since, broadly it goes like this..-

Every evening at 9pm, almost to the second the connection either becomes intermittent or drops completely; if it's intermittent it lasts about an hour and then drops out totally, no DSL interface at all according to the router diags. It's then off all night. Next morning I phone support and after half an hour I get through to some drone who reads from a script - it's impossible to get to speak to an actual Cable and Wireless techie (C&W actually provide the service). They tell me it's been fixed, I tell them no it hasn't. They log another fault and some time later (varying between an hour and several hours) the connection reboots only to repeat the cycle all over again that evening. Oh yes, tech support lines are only open 8 - 6 so I can't phone overnight

I can never get a reason for the fault either.

It's off now, I'm connecting right now via my phone as an internet sharing device.

I am at my wits end over this. Why does the connection drop at 9pm every night?

Why can't C&W actually fix this problem?

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

Can anyone offer any possible reason for this behaviour?

If it was a more random issue I'd say it was a line fault but support say the line tests OK and when the connection is up it's fine, fast and rock solid....... until 9pm. Infuriating.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OT Slightly, but i have a mate who has a virgin adsl connection to his company warehouse.

Everynight at 6pm the internet goes off and then dont come back on until 11am, virgin said it is not a problem (it obviously is) and wont fix it!! they just keep putting them off!

I have ran out of idea's and they now just cope with it, but it would be nice to see your outcome.

James.

Thank Post
    C&W brought out by Pipex. Pipex brought out by Tiscali! Tiscali ...well need I say more!

I left Pipex because the service became so bad after the by-out by Tiscali, before then I was perfectly happy with the service. Tiscali themselves are now having big problems because of the credit crunch. If you can, move asap. I'm with ADSL24 and their pretty good. Others here are with BE and Zen etc!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs View Post
    C&W brought out by Pipex. Pipex brought out by Tiscali! Tiscali ...well need I say more!

I left Pipex because the service became so bad after the by-out by Tiscali, before then I was perfectly happy with the service. Tiscali themselves are now having big problems because of the credit crunch. If you can, move asap. I'm with ADSL24 and their pretty good. Others here are with BE and Zen etc!
    I have actually ordered a cheap and cheerful service from Plusnet on a second line as a backup but that's still a week away from going live :-(

I would have chosen BE but they're not available in my area.

I'll probably migrate the bulldog line to someone else in due course but not sure who with yet.

Thank Post
    I've got a school that's been with Nildram (another one taken over by Pipex and then Tiscali) and I'm moving them very soon.

Plan was to go with Be' but they don't support the exchange so I'm going with Zen instead... Everything else, IMHO is not worth the risk... and definitely not Virgin.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I have connections in a few places that are now tiscali (former Freedom2Surf connections) still uuming and aaaring where to move them to, ones a local charity so cheaper the better but need static IPs and decent connection for low low cost, one is work so thats not too bad and the other is me but as im uuuming and aaaaring over various things I think ill leave my home one as it is for now.

Thank Post
    Well, it's still offline!

I rang tech support again this morning, the trained monkey who answered the call couldn't even engage in a civil conversation! I insisted on speaking to a supervisor, at which point they cut me off!!!

Spending today deciding who to switch to, trouble is I need unlimited downloads, a static IP along with, preferably a 16 meg service and noone seems to do this. I'll have a hunt around.

Not in a good mood right now!

Thank Post
    I had simular with Be Internet a couple of weeks back. Eventually i managed to get a bt engineer out to check the line as the all line checks were coming back clear. The issue i had was moisture had got into the copper wire in the termination box and corroded the wire coming into my house. A couple of inches cut of the line and line reterminiated sorted the problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "Tiscali are in trouble themselves because of the credit crunch"

Specifically, Tiscali are insolvent and fast heading towards going completely bust. Regardless of the fault or the need to sort it out, my best and most honest advice is just jump off a sinking ship. Be/O2 are a very good bet. Unlimited, cheap and easy option for a static IP, everything you'll need. Plus of course if you've an O2 mobile contract, the latter is nice and cheap

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    "Tiscali are in trouble themselves because of the credit crunch"

Specifically, Tiscali are insolvent and fast heading towards going completely bust. Regardless of the fault or the need to sort it out, my best and most honest advice is just jump off a sinking ship. Be/O2 are a very good bet. Unlimited, cheap and easy option for a static IP, everything you'll need. Plus of course if you've an O2 mobile contract, the latter is nice and cheap
    I intend to jump just as soon as I can find someone to take over.

BE don't cover my area and O2 isn't an option.

Thank Post
    Okay,

Firstly, which exchange are you on? (This will help you identify whether you can get an ADSL2+ package from anyone/else)

Are you losing sync to the exchange at 9pm (IE, ADSL light starts to flash on/off like normally when booting up) or does the PPP session just drop out?

Checking your router logs would be a good idea to see what's going on.

Also, something worth considering seasonally dependent is whether you've made any environmental changes which may be occurring at 9pm; in some cases hot water systems, christmas tree lights, a new lamp near the router etc is enough to cause interference/problems.

Nonetheless, I can only sympathise with you as it must be doing your head in

Thank Post
    i had the same problem in the end coz of thier realy crap CS and their ability to do nothing but pee people off i decided to contact the adjudicator end of the day they were trying to make me pay for broadband i never recieved and they were sending bailiffs to scare me into paying. this is one of the replies i got after contacting the adjudicator:

contact add: David Horsfall [david.horsfall(the at sign)Pipex.Net]

Thank you for your email in response to my letter accepting the offer I made to clear the balance on the account. I can advise you that with every case I deal with I give feedback to the Heads of the responsible departments. Bulldog continually reviews its procedures and processes in order to improve our level of Customer Care. As you will be aware like all Internet Service providers a lot of money is spent on advertising our products and in employing sales people to generate business. It is therefore in our interests to deal with and satisfy the customer’s needs in a prompt and timely manner in order not to lose the customer, as regrettably, we did with your account.

With regards the promptness of our reply to your emails. I am sorry if we failed you in speed of our response to any emails you have sent. Bulldog target is a response to 80% of the emails it received within 24 hrs and 98% of all emails within 28 days.

As I stated in my letter I am sorry that we did not resolve this matter before you found it necessary to take the matter to the Adjudicator. I trust my reply is satisfactory.

Kind regards

David

David Horsfall

Customer Relations

Pipex Limited

dont even try posting on www. my-bulldog-hell . co . uk/forum its all bought out!

you need to go throught their tech support and (use email) as they telephone support never actually log calls and never log them correctly, then wait for them to fix it or fob you off then contact CISAS. I basically ordered another BT line and got o2 broadband as i needed the Net urgently but pipex aka bulldog reimbursed me all costs for new line once i won lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Okay,

Firstly, which exchange are you on? (This will help you identify whether you can get an ADSL2+ package from anyone/else)

Are you losing sync to the exchange at 9pm (IE, ADSL light starts to flash on/off like normally when booting up) or does the PPP session just drop out?

Checking your router logs would be a good idea to see what's going on.

Also, something worth considering seasonally dependent is whether you've made any environmental changes which may be occurring at 9pm; in some cases hot water systems, christmas tree lights, a new lamp near the router etc is enough to cause interference/problems.

Nonetheless, I can only sympathise with you as it must be doing your head in
    Exchange is Worcester St Peters

Losing sync totally at 9pm. The router says there's no interface, it's as though there's no DSL service on the line. DSL lamp flashes continually.

There are no environmental changes that could logically cause this that I know of.

Yes, it is doing my head in!!! ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcmp View Post

dont even try posting on www. my-bulldog-hell . co . uk/forum its all bought out!

you need to go throught their tech support and (use email) as they telephone support never actually log calls and never log them correctly, then wait for them to fix it or fob you off then contact CISAS. I basically ordered another BT line and got o2 broadband as i needed the Net urgently but pipex aka bulldog reimbursed me all costs for new line once i won lol
    The service is on an LLU line. I've just got off the phone with BT after arranging for BT to take the line over. Once BT have it back then I'll find a new ADSL provider.

In the meantime I've ordered Plusnet Unlimited 8Mb on another line as a stop-gap, that's due to go live on the 9th.

Barstewards!!!!!

Thank Post
    Sounds a bit odd if it goes completely at bang on 9pm like clockwork.

Looking at Samknows for your exchange it shows you could get Sky who do offer an ADSL2+ package which should work as you would expect it to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast