+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Transparently Filter Using Websense in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM In this setup there are no Cisco routers at all. All i need is a blanket ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    In this setup there are no Cisco routers at all. All i need is a blanket filtering on the whole network. Can i just install websense on a server and point the clients to use it as the default gateway and it will work?
    Yes, websense simply applies a default policy to all users and computers unless otherwise configured. You do need to have something passing the info to the server. Default gateway is probably fine for that. If they know how to get around a DHCP default gateway then you're probably going to need more complex protection anyhow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Innovation_Dan View Post
    Yes, websense simply applies a default policy to all users and computers unless otherwise configured. You do need to have something passing the info to the server. Default gateway is probably fine for that. If they know how to get around a DHCP default gateway then you're probably going to need more complex protection anyhow.
    Use the firewall to only allow connections form the websense box will fix them getting round the DHCP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry i didn't see it. I tried that at my old place who use ISA 2004 and it let internet traffic go through the server but didn't filter it.
    To work like this it needs to be installed as a filter that applies to http traffic. I know that surfcontrol does this so I was sure that Websence would as they purchased surfcontrol ages ago. You may just need to make sure that the correct filter driver is installed. The filter connection can get messed up in ISA (at least in surfcontrol) though.

It looks like you are after Websence content gateway from a quick look at their site which does offer transparent filtering

http://kb.websense.com/al/12/1/artic...?aid=3123&bt=4
    http://kb.websense.com/al/12/1/artic...=4&r=0.1411859

Thank Post
    Hi,

Depends on your budget, but the Cisco ASA security devices support mandatory transparent HTTP/S filtering through a Websense server. The Juniper Netscreen range certainly do too, though not sure about the newer SSG stuff.

ASA Specs: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...cd80285492.pdf

The 5505 handles 4000 connections/sec and is about £400. You get a two user license for the SSL gateway with that too, which might be useful.

The DC agent/Logon agent running on Websense will handle user identification.

Feel free to give us a shout if you have any Q's about setting up Websense (and/or the ASA side of things). FWIW, I've found Websense v7 to be considerably more reliable than 6.x

Chris.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers i have setup websense plenty of times on ISA just looking for other options.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Innovation_Dan View Post
    Hi,

When i do this i get no webtraffic going though at all. Do you have any suggestions please?

Thank Post
    Hi,

When i do this i get no webtraffic going though at all. Do you have any suggestions please?
    Actually, now that I think about it I don't know that using DG to point at the websense server would work unless you did some kind of routing along side it. In the Cisco PIX setups we use at our sites, the PIX actually knows to pass the info to Websense and then get a response.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I have finally got round to looking into this more.

I have setup an ISA 2006 Server. I have given it 2 NIC's. One internal and the other connects to the external network. I have set the client Default Gateway to the server. The firewall rules work well, i can block URLS using ISA.

However Websense doesn't the only way i can get it to work is by inputting the proxy server in the Web Browser.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am considering pushing a .pac file using DHCP put i would like to see if i can do it without this first.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    If you can push a pac file, do so. Transparent proxying is generally not worth the hassle unless there is no other way round it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping to do it without that, but it looks like i might have to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just found using this method that you have to enable automatically discover proxy settings in IE. This is something that might not be enabled on all the laptops.

Dam

Thank Post
    FN,

This is the default setting - so shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    You might be able to perform some trickery on those users who don't get the proxy, so they get a page telling them what to do...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All working now thanks to this - ISA SecureNAT and Firewall Clients Can Bypass Websense Content Filtering Richard Hicks' ISA/TMG Blog

On page 13 under the ‘Configuring the ISAPI Filter’ section you will see that in order to correctly filter SecureNAT and Firewall Clients you must create a file called ‘ignore.txt’ in the Windows\System32 folder. This file should contain the hostname or IP address of the ISA firewall that the filtering plug-in is installed on (note also that this entry should be in all caps).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12