+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smooth-Guardian Licensing issue in Technical; Good post, Strangley I have only been blocked a few times even though theoretically more IP's are available to use ...

Thank Post
    Good post,

Strangley I have only been blocked a few times even though theoretically more IP's are available to use on the network.

I always thought it was concurrent connections but we have some satelite workers who use the system sometimes so it might get messy when they are all in.

My next sale will be 270 which all the school computers, have to speak to my sales guy to see if they want me to purchase another 40 or so for the boarders (which I can't afford)

Quote Originally Posted by parasol View Post
    EEAN,

Sorry for shattering your love for Guardian.
    I actually thing that licensing per computer/IP is still better then per user because you can have many users accessing internet from the same pc - this should be desirable for a school or offices with users on 2nd shift or kids using the same computer in the class.

Tom,

I think there is a fairly simple solution - just change the 7-days to something like 30 min.

Wireless LAN is one of the best examples - laptop users will switch between wired and wireless LAN during the day, hence 2 IP's per the same device and basically the laptop will STEAL one license from the available pool.

Another good example is if you have 11 pc's in the office but only 10 Guardian users [that's my situation in many remote sites]. Normally you don't have 10 people browsing at the same time so I though I will be ok with 10 licenses until I found out about your 7-day cache. This means that even if the other 10 users don't access internet for a week, my 11th pc will be blocked because of the 7-day cache - very silly in my opinion.

So what's my option ?, will Smoothwall sell me 1 guardian license, from what I know most likely not because your smallest purchase requires 10 licenses. So I have to pay for another 10 users just so I can get 1 additional user be able to use internet.

I really think that a reasonable cache setting [30min to 120min], would able Smoothwall to control licensing and make end users very happy.

BTW:
    I'm talking to your Sales guys to resolve this matter because when I purchased Guardian this cache limit was not explained and even the reseller was not aware of this 7-day cache. Will let you know how it goes.

thanks.

Thank Post
    EEAN,

BTW:
    I'm talking to your Sales guys to resolve this matter because when I purchased Guardian this cache limit was not explained and even the reseller was not aware of this 7-day cache. Will let you know how it goes.

thanks.
    I've been prodding our channel folk at this end, so hopefully you'll see some action.

TBH, there are more things wrong with the ip counter than the time limit, so wether we take your suggestion probably depends on if we keep that method at all. Users can rest assured that the general "spirit" of the licencing will remain roughly the same (ie. no one will suddenly find things getting more expensive).

Thank Post
    We had issues originally with IP limits but we did get it resolved with discussions with our smoothwall account manager. I think we now fully licensed up to either 700 or 800 clients.

Thank Post
    The 7 day thing imo confuses matters. The point is the licensing is "per computer using the proxy". So a school with 1000 pupils but 200 computers only pays for 200 computers and adding more pupils will cost nothing. The licensing is not per user or per current user or current connection.

If you have 11 computers but only a 10 computer licence then it will trip up. But, as Blizzard like saying, that is working as intended.

The way it works is simply by counting IPs. This has problems but in all the years it has worked like that (it is so old I actually wrote that bit of code) it is only very recently come up with a problem (to my knowledge). A good example is wired and wireless laptops might take up to 2 IPs each. In cases like this where licensing enforcement causes problems for customers, contacting the account manager is definitely the best thing to do. The last thing we want is paying customers to be inconvenienced by a licensing enforcement system getting it wrong.

As a side note - DHCP should not cause any problems as you will find PCs get the same IP each and every time - especially Windows PCs - as they will ask for it when renewing. So the same batch of 100 PCs will get the same 100 IPs in the standard case.

Thank Post

Wireless LAN is one of the best examples - laptop users will switch between wired and wireless LAN during the day, hence 2 IP's per the same device and basically the laptop will STEAL one license from the available pool.
    That's the exact problem we were having but after a rather timely call from my account manager to see how things were going he upped the licenses by quite a few (I forget how many but it was enough that we have never had the issue again).

Take Tom's advice and call the account manager. They're willing to listen and understand that schools are different from your average business user.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Mark account manager added licenses to my boxes, so this should fix the problem - now I have to pay renewal costs for all these new licenses

Thank Post
    Hi All,

I realize that this is quite an old thread but i am having the same difficulty with my 100 user license guardian box. we have about 80 school computers which are not all used at the same time and as many laptops, ipads, ipods.... and other wireless devices that students and staff use to occasionally do something on the internet. Though there are only 20-30 people using the internet at a specific time, if the smoothwall box have not been restarted every 2 days, users start to get an "IP Limit Exceed" block message.

My understanding of the licensing, upto now, was in-terms of the number of users online at a specific time and i still do not see the need for the 7 day caching. But my question now is why wouldn't smoothwall introduce either a shorter time frame, Like in the middle of the night everyday, or maybe integrate a button under system » maintenance » licenses that allow admins to easily reset the count instead of having to restart the web-proxy all together

( I am insisting on this b/e unlike the other members my budget does not allow me to buy more licenses in the near future. and even if i do, unless this issue is resolved i will be needing at least 200 licenses for a server with 20to 30 user load at a time)

Thank Post
    Not a proper answer but here are a few suggestions for a work around:
    It's a linux box isn't it? Its there a way of sending a scheduled restart command each night?
    Or restarting another way: would an ungraceful shutdown harm it? If not you could put a timer plug on it to turn it off at night.

Or
    How does it count computers? number of unique ip addresses? Reduce the number of addresses your dhcp server has to give out to 100. may need to lower the lease time too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atodawit View Post
    Hi All,

I realize that this is quite an old thread but i am having the same difficulty with my 100 user license guardian box. we have about 80 school computers which are not all used at the same time and as many laptops, ipads, ipods.... and other wireless devices that students and staff use to occasionally do something on the internet. Though there are only 20-30 people using the internet at a specific time, if the smoothwall box have not been restarted every 2 days, users start to get an "IP Limit Exceed" block message.

My understanding of the licensing, upto now, was in-terms of the number of users online at a specific time and i still do not see the need for the 7 day caching. But my question now is why wouldn't smoothwall introduce either a shorter time frame, Like in the middle of the night everyday, or maybe integrate a button under system » maintenance » licenses that allow admins to easily reset the count instead of having to restart the web-proxy all together

( I am insisting on this b/e unlike the other members my budget does not allow me to buy more licenses in the near future. and even if i do, unless this issue is resolved i will be needing at least 200 licenses for a server with 20to 30 user load at a time)
    Drop me a PM with your details, and i'll get it sorted.

FWIW, Guardian3 (still in slow rollout) doesn't count IPs at all, it uses a much less intrusive technique.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12