+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Turning internet on/off for IT Rooms in Technical; We currently use Webmarshal 3.5.2.16 as a way of turning the internet on and off in classrooms. This is a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Turning internet on/off for IT Rooms

We currently use Webmarshal 3.5.2.16 as a way of turning the internet on and off in classrooms. This is a manual process and teachers have to ask before the morning if they want internet turned on for their lessons. With this being a manual process and we get called out to do work around the place we've started getting people compalining because the internet was either on when they wanted it off or off when they wanted it on.

My question to the intelligent people (and the not-so-intelligent) people of the eduGeek forums is: If we upgrade to Webmarshal 6.1.7.4636 will we gain the ability to scedual this sort of task, and are there any other advantages to this? OR: are there free/better alternatives which can be used to turn the internet on/off for rooms/groups of computers?

Thank you in advance for your wizdom and knowlage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    OR: are there free/better alternatives which can be used to turn the internet on/off for rooms/groups of computers?
    Although not free you can look at the classroom management suites like LanSchool/AB Tutor Control ect and most will have a internet access module so it can be enabled/disabled by the teacher in their control panel.

3. Thanks to p858snake from:

DAckroyd (24th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Impero allows your staff to have control of the internet in their own room. Very handy.

5. Thanks to Jazzman from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Although not free you can look at the classroom management suites like LanSchool/AB Tutor Control ect and most will have a internet access module so it can be enabled/disabled by the teacher in their control panel.
    Ditto for software like AB Tutor - where you can switch it off or impose whitelists on a per classroom (or even per pupil) basis.

Thank Post

Wink Turning internet access off

Hi,

I wrote a Kix Script\form some time ago whereby the teacher could select the room in which they wanted to turn the internet off and the script would, during logon check the computer name and state of a file and depending on whether the file existed or not it would overwrite the proxy settings with zeros. This worked great if the teacher remembered to disable the internet before lesson started.

The problem was it would only work before the pupils logged on a the teacher/s had to remember to 'turn' the internet back on again, and it would not work if the pupil was already logged on.

I did develop another script that removed access to the 'iexplore' exe whilst the pupil was logged on (the script would first kill the process) the problem was I only developed this for individual machines.

I would personally recommend the AB Tutor control program, this does excatly what you want and more and I have to say it reletivley cheap (one teacher console for £120).

Regards

Steve.

Thank Post
    Ye ditto again for ABTutor , We use ISA server are self so that we can manage all the connections and filtering in and out although for flexibility and ease of use that the teachers can use we have a control licence of ABTutor for each room which allows there teacher to either select all the room or per pupil of no internet or only allow certain sites or certain programs etc... (Also a nice feature with ABTutor we have the clients install by MSI threw the GPO so no need to manual install)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use IPCop proxy server with AdvProxy/URLFilter/Classroom Extensions addons for controlling access per-room; and made a controller program (On/Off button) in AutoIt for the teachers. All free.

10. Thanks to webman from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    We use IPCop proxy server with AdvProxy/URLFilter/Classroom Extensions addons for controlling access per-room; and made a controller program (On/Off button) in AutoIt for the teachers. All free.
    Hi, I am looking for something to turn the internet on and off like other guys here- Could you please let me know where you got IPCOP proxy and all the filtering and classroom management software, also is it reliable?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!

Advanced Proxy add-on for IPCop and SmoothWall

URL filter add-on for IPCop and SmoothWall

Classroom Extensions should be linked to on the URLFilter/Advproxy site (same developer).

13. Thanks to webman from:

armadillo (1st April 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread