+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Cachepilot internal DNS in Technical; Hi all, As some of your know I'm currently working on a helpdesk system for a school as part of ...
    Thank Post

Cachepilot internal DNS

Hi all,
    As some of your know I'm currently working on a helpdesk system for a school as part of my final year project for uni. I installed it last weekend and only have one outstanding issue which is the following:

The server has an internal static IP say: 10.18.79.200
    The server has samba providing a net-bios hostname say: helpdesk-beta

Now I can access all service except for http via the helpdesk-beta domain name. When I have the proxy configured in the web browser if I try to access http://helpdesk-beta I get an error back from the proxy saying unresolvable.

I assume this is because the proxy is attempting to resolve the hostname using an external DNS server which obviously dosn't know about the machine? I belive the school use a cachepilot box provided by RM can anyone confirm how the DNS on these is normally setup and if it's possible to add a local entry?

The only alternative is to add the address as an exception in the web-browser but this is obviously undesirable.

Thanks
    Jona

Thank Post
    Couple of options...
    1. Find out where the cachepilot is resolving DNS and add "helpdesk-beta" in as a dns name. Single word dns names are notoriously flaky beasts though

2. add an exception using the proxy.pac or gpo (it is a nicer way around it)

Thank Post
    Thanks for you suggestions Tom.

1. That was my thought however typical school they have no idea about how the cachepilot works apart from the web interface they use to block / unblock websites. Am looking for advice on how these beasties work to try and figure this out.

2. Unforuntatly they have a load of laptops floating around with hardcoded proxy settings in IE, but this might be an option for their CC3 machines.

Cheers
    Jona
    Last edited by Jona; 18th March 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Just doing some more research on this attached is a screenshot of the error.

Some screenshots in the cachepilot user manual here: http://smartstore.equiinet.net/artic...6.pdf&i=281132 (pdf - page 42) seem to suggest there is a "DNS entries" screen under located under Maintence > Network.

Wonder if anyone with a cachepilot from RM could confirm this is the case and possible post a screenshot of this screen?

Cheers
    Jona
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    On our cachepilot DNS is resolved by an external server (persumably owned by equinet or our RBC).

We've seen the above error message on many occasion, especially when their [single?] DNS server goes down, taking the entire northern grids internet with it (oh what a brilliant system)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread