+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet at home in Technical; My headteacher is working from home alot recently and would like to have internet on her laptop at home. Now ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

Internet at home

My headteacher is working from home alot recently and would like to have internet on her laptop at home. Now she has all the settings put in (DHCP, Wep key etc) and her home hub is set up correctly, yet she is unable to connect to the internet.

I have tried to walk her through, turned off the proxies etc, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any idea's?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    So I am presuming she can successfully get a wireless connection, which means her machine is talking to the router OK, but no internet? I presume DHCP is set to auto and that you haven't specified a static IP?

You could ask her to open up a command prompt, Start > Run > cmd

Then type:

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    If she cannot ping Google, then you need to look at the possibility of there being a problem with her internet connection itself. Does the router display a DSL link or similar? Has she tried turning it off, then turning it back on?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    She gets a perfect wireless signal, the router is set up to give DHCP, her laptop is set to get DHCP and when she goes into CMD to ping something, nothing comes back, just says "connection timed out"

And I did ask her to turn off the router and turn it back on with no joy. Her laptop recognised that it was turned off by saying wireless network no longer connected etc, and when it came back on so did her wireless connection.

Its baffling to say the least.

Thank Post
    As it's the head, you could earn brownie points by just going along and setting it up. Try to get her to drive you there during your normal hours. It's probably something simple in your instructions that she has ignored.

Also, delete out any current "home" WEP keys and settings; these could be incorrect or possibly corrupt. (My next door neighbour recently had problems connecting to her Home Hub and all I did was update her wireless drivers and delete out her old settings before re-attaching the laptop to her home network. I was the 4th "expert" she had asked - now I'm worried that I'll be getting calls all the time!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    trouble is, she lives a good 60 miles away....

I said I will check her settings when she gets in tomorrow morning.

Thank Post
    Well providing the laptop is getting an IP, then I wouldn't of thought the security settings of the network were corrupt or incorrect. Does the router itself display a green DSL LED?

Thank Post
    I had a similar issue last week, IT Teacher though...

Turned out to be the internet explorer shortcut that had broken, despite him answering 'page cannot be displayed' when i asked him what came up (it wasn't even loading internet explorer )

Thank Post
    proxies?

Thank Post
    You could set her up with firefox for home (just rename the shortcut "Home internet"), and IE for school

Thank Post
    is Automatically Detect Settings turned on?

I have known this to cause problems

Thank Post
    Have you told her to connect the laptop via a patch lead? if there is still no connection then the problem is withthe router. Is windows managing the wireless adaptor or is it a utility form the makers of the laptop, I say this because last week I set up a home hub 2 for someone who had a Dell Lattitude that that was using Dells utility to manage the adaptor and it would not work, I changed it to let windows manage it and it worked first time. Hope this helps because I know there is nothing worse than what your going through

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    trouble is, she lives a good 60 miles away....
    Maybe not volunteer then (unless she looks like Angelina Jolie and both of you are single!).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well providing the laptop is getting an IP, then I wouldn't of thought the security settings of the network were corrupt or incorrect.
    That's what I thought, but the laptop I was talking about was reporting that it had connected and had excellent signal strength; it just wouldn't connect to t'internet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Are you certain it is actually getting an IP address? Sometimes the connection can report as 'connected' but not actually be passing any traffic, including DHCP.

For example, if the Home Hub wireless is set up as WEP and an incorrect key is entered, I have seen Windows XP report the connection as associated, but it will not be able to decrypt any data it receives. I dealt with this exact problem which exhibited the same symptoms you have described so far. In the end, I did go to the Head's house... but she only lived 10 minutes drive away.

Consider though that the further you have to drive, the bigger the gesture...

Thank Post
    Are you certain it is actually getting an IP address? Sometimes the connection can report as 'connected' but not actually be passing any traffic, including DHCP.
    Easiest way is to firstly look at the DHCP configuration and secondly, try pinging the router - ping 192.168.0.1 If this works then it would point to a broadband issue.

Thank Post
    I have had seen some issues when setting up other people's wireless, that i had to connect the network cable in access the internet took out, then connect wireless and it worked :S weird i know

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast