+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall - School Guardian Eval in Technical; I am working with an eval of School Guardian. For some reason, after something I changed, I can no longer ...

Thank Post

Smoothwall - School Guardian Eval

I am working with an eval of School Guardian. For some reason, after something I changed, I can no longer get the Web content filter to go online again. It reads Errored but I can't fid what the error is. The AV and Web Proxy are fine.

It was working but I lost it after changing filter settings.

Could anyone give me a clue where to look for what the actual error is or what may cause this to go offline? Filter definitions are up to date - authentication is fine.

The Smoothwall Knowledge base did not have much and the Smoothwall forums seem to deal more with the free versions.

Thanks for any help,

Scott

Thank Post
    More info to last post. Finally found where the error log is.

Seems related to Dansguardian -

Feb 7 16:26:06 s_sys@netwall dansguardian[21624] Started sucessfully.
    Feb 7 16:27:53 s_sys@netwall dansguardian[21628] Reponse from AuthD not marked as OK; this is what we got:
    Feb 7 16:27:53 s_sys@netwall dansguardian[21628] Reponse from AuthD not marked as OK; this is what we got:
    Feb 7 16:27:54 s_sys@netwall dansguardian[21629] Reponse from AuthD not marked as OK; this is what we got:

Any idea's?

Thanks,

Scott

Thank Post
    I had this once on our smoothwall.

Disable the proxy service and then restart it, then reboot the server itself- That fixed it for me.. worth a shot.

4. Thanks to ssiruuk2 from:

Macinator (8th February 2009)

Thank Post
    If you are evaluating the product you are still able to ring the support line - they helped us when we were first evaluating and have been really helpful after we purchased the product also.

Thank Post
    Thank you both for your replies.

I tried ssiruuk2's suggestion to disable services, reboot, and re-enable - no joy. Taking that a step futher - I uninstalled the SmoothGuardian module, rebooted, and reinstalled and everything is cool again.

Thanks,

Scott

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    I can rate the support of the SmoothWall team I had a UTM-1000 on eval before purchasing it and was very impressed with the support from the team, I made a silly mistake or two with my setup and they were very helpful and supportive, couldn't have asked for better

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I can rate the support of the SmoothWall team I had a UTM-1000 on eval before purchasing it and was very impressed with the support from the team, I made a silly mistake or two with my setup and they were very helpful and supportive, couldn't have asked for better
    Same as us John with the same box - it was the way we had setup the config that was causing the problems, but the helpful guys at smoothwall support got us up and running again in no time.

Thank Post
    Hey Macinator, not quite sure myself what this might be, but feel free to give support a call on 1 800 959 1261 (I gather you're in the US). Uninstalling and reinstalling the Guardian module on SG is somewhat strange, especially as it's a built-in module as standard, but if it worked for you..! Give them a call if you have any concerns or further questions.

And thanks for the support kudos guys, I'll pass on the feedback

Rob.

Thank Post

Proxy Resolved

I have contacted support and the intial problem I had with the proxy is I has a Network Guardian with 2 network cards. Getting rid of a card stopped this from happening. The Network Guardian does not seem to be able to correctly handle NIC changes and while the answer from support was correct - it did not explain the problem or stop it from cropping up again.

I have been testing this in a virtual environment - when I moved this to a higher end virtual server - same issue. It seems everytime there is a change in the NIC it loses the proxy.

Finally hunted it down - after any NIC change it changes the setting in
    /settings/ethernet/settings
    DEFAULT_DEV=ethb

but in the file

/modules/guardian/settins/guardian/settings
    ethA = on
    ethB = off

Should read
    ethA = off
    ethB = on

Manually changing that setting imedaitely brough the proxy back online and filled in the address like it should.

Thought I would put this out there since I doubt I am the only one tossing this around on a virtual machine for testing.

Thanks all for you replies,

Scott

----------------------------------------
    I am working with an eval of School Guardian. For some reason, after something I changed, I can no longer get the Web content filter to go online
    again. It reads Errored but I can't fid what the error is. The AV and Web Proxy are fine.

It was working but I lost it after changing filter settings.

Could anyone give me a clue where to look for what the actual error is or what may cause this to go offline? Filter definitions are up to date - authentication is fine.

The Smoothwall Knowledge base did not have much and the Smoothwall forums seem to deal more with the free versions.

Thanks for any help,

Scott

Thank Post
    Yes, it's a "trick" you have to do when moving NG around on different hardware, due to the way that NG is setup using one NIC. We'll be modifying this behavior on an upcoming release to make things easier.

If you move, say a VM, from one hardware spec to another (i.e. giving it a different virtual network card), or replace an existing network card with a new one, the best way to get it to "forget" the old cards is to login to the console and do:

cd /settings/ethernet/nics
    ls

look for settings- files that are 10 bytes in size and copy those other the larger files:

cp settings-3 settings-2
    cp settings-3 settings-1

so that all the settings- files are 10 bytes.

then run "setup" from the console, go to networking and auto-detect cards. It'll then find the network card and you can set the network addressing from within setup.

If in doubt, give support a call

Thanks,

Rob.

Thank Post
    btw, the settings- files that are 10 bytes should contain just:

ENABLE=no

you can check this by doing "cat settings-2" for example.

Thank Post
    Rob -

Thanks for the answer. I think I see what you are doing - basically blanking out the existing settings files by copying the templates over the ones that have been modified by the Setup? Then setup will see the blank config and rewrite settings-1?

Is it going to cause me problems by redirecting guardian/settings to ethB and changing the EthA=off and EthB=on? Guess it may bite me down the road for an upgrade?

Thanks,

Scott

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread