+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, DNS Forwarders for Browsers in Technical; Just wondering if someone can help me understand this. We're using a DNS filtering server -- a bit like OpenDNS. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DNS Forwarders for Browsers

Just wondering if someone can help me understand this.

We're using a DNS filtering server -- a bit like OpenDNS. I've replaced the forwarders on our internal DNS servers.

My question is, should I need to do anything else to get the browser to connect to the Internet? I've set the browser to automatically detect settings and removed any proxy settings. Should this just work with the DNS forwarder or do I need to do anything like set WPAD settings.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your clients should continue to use your domain controllers as DNS servers which would forward external requests to the filtering service. If you change the DNS details on the clients they won't be able to access internal resources, especially domain controllers, and users won't be able to log in. Best place to set this is on the DHCP server so they are dished out automagically when clients get their IP's. AFAIK WPAD is only need if you want to apply proxy settings via automatic discovery instead of fixing them in GPO settings.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. That makes sense.

Assuming I use DNS forwarders how should my IE settings be configured? Should I use automatically detect settings or just remove all settings from the LAN Settings window?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I assume you don't have a proxy server and your router is happy forwarding all port 80/443 requests out to the live internet? If that's the case then yes, remove all setting from IE and it will query DNS as normal.

If your ISP restricts open ports through the router you may need to either have a proxy server internally and filter traffic through that, or contact your ISP for their upstream proxy details, you may need to set up WPAD or a GPO to apply these.

We use RM broadband and all traffic out must go through their upstream proxy (which we've asked them to set as unrestricted).

It might help trying to picture the traffic path...

User opens web page -> DNS request to DC -> DNS request to Filtering Service -> Result to DC -> Result to user -> Request open IP/port from web server -> page delivered to user

or

User opens web page -> DNS request to DC -> DNS request to Filtering Service -> Result to DC -> Result to user -> Request open IP/port from ISP's upstream proxy -> Request open IP/port from web server -> page returned to upstream proxy -> page delivered to user

or

User opens web page -> DNS request to DC -> DNS request to Filtering Service -> Result to DC -> Result to user ->Request open IP/port from internal proxy -> Request open IP/port from ISP's upstream proxy -> Request open IP/port from web server -> page returened to upstream proxy -> page returned to local proxy -> page delivered to user
    Last edited by tmcd35; 21st August 2014 at 09:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.

We do have a TMG proxy in between, but it allows DNS resolution through. I've also spoken to our ISP who has allowed the required ports at their end.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edublogger View Post
    Thanks.

We do have a TMG proxy in between, but it allows DNS resolution through. I've also spoken to our ISP who has allowed the required ports at their end.
    Then IE still need the proxy setting for your TMG proxy. DNS requests are separate from page delivery.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread