+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Looking for a new system in Technical; I've been using Smoothwall for 3 years now and I have to say it's a really good product. However it ...
    Thank Post
    I've been using Smoothwall for 3 years now and I have to say it's a really good product. However it is sophisticated and as such can take quite a while to get it working as you want it and also get used to its ways. I think this probably took me the best part of a year!

My only gripe was with support at one point which became very slow and quite frankly not acceptable. However that has changed now, and it's pretty much at the level it was when I first got the product.

Heard lots of good things about lightspeed too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Heard good things about the sophos utm as well

Thank Post
    We have just replaced two Microsoft TMG boxes with two Sophos UTM 625's.

At the same time removing Sophos Puremessage off our mail server and using the AV/AS feature on the UTM.

Thank Post
    Up until recently we've done proxying through squid and filtering through squidguard. It has worked well, we're switching over to Exa though and so far so good

5. Thanks to aking99 from:

exa_mark (31st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Glad to here aking99, if there is anything you need any assistance with though you know where we are.

Thank Post
    Hi, we have just changed Web Filter to Barracuda - A guy called Joe Burke is our account manager and he showed us demos for sonicwall and iboss but we went with Barracuda because their is no per user fees. PM me for his details don't want to just give them out. p.s we used Smoothwall before and had some issues with support

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, and i apologise for not replying sooner (holiday).

I'm still not convinced that the Smoothwall does what it says on the tin. Everyone within the school was frustrated with it - as it was blocking websites which had references to drugs and sex (and these were ordinary sites (news sites for example). It even was stopping myself from reading articles about hacking and security issues. It could of been a setup issue, as it was in place when i arrived - but we had a good relationship with Smoothwall support and after numerous calls nothing really changed.

I found the Lightspeed device so simple, that we have handed over the unblocking requests to our pastoral team. As in, they login to the device management console and manually unblock sites requested by the pupils and staff and we (IT) have zero involvement anymore. The reporting features are way ahead of Smoothwalls (and i know i sound like an advertisment of Lightspeed, and i do apologise for that), that it was instrumental in stopping a pupil taking their own life (search query reporting). I read the comment about taking a while to get the Smoothwall setup for use, but i have to compare to the Lightspeed installation, which took just over a day. When we had the Smoothwall, i had one of my team spend a good day per week on it dealing with all the unblock requests etc.. and now we hardly ever login to the filtering device.

The Sophos UTM is just fantastic - it really does do exactly what it's supposed to - and again so so easy to use.

As said i'm struggling to understand what it does that makes it so favourable here, as in my area we hold monthly ICT forums with a good number of schools within my area and every ICT manager who has one wishes they didn't, but can't move due to budgets etc..

Again and i repeat, i'm not a poster child for Lightspeed, but after reading these forums for a good number of years i'm just shocked at the approval of Smoothwall.

B.

Quick Edit: @elsiegee40 Our pupils hated it, because it stopped them from researching legal websites when it came to drugs, sex or guns. They simply installed VPN's on their laptops and got around the filtering completely and were able to access any sites they wanted to. They also wanted to use Skype and Facetime (on all of their devices) to talk to family and friends and after numerous calls to Smoothwall we were unable to get a resolution. However our pupils really do hate lightspeed, with many requests coming from the Student council asking for it to be removed.
    Last edited by Baerf; 6th August 2014 at 01:00 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12