+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, BLOXX Web Filtering Reporting... in Technical; Hi fellow edugeek Users, This is my 1st post and rather an upsetting one My new Network Manager is trying ...

Thank Post

BLOXX Web Filtering Reporting...

Hi fellow edugeek Users,

This is my 1st post and rather an upsetting one

My new Network Manager is trying to remove me from my post as an ICT Technician at a school I have worked for over eight years at. He's made some kind of story to the senior leadership team of the school that I have been bypassing the Bloxx's Web Filter to bring the school network down. He's produced a report from the Bloxx's Web Filter showing my usage as zero!!! Should an empty report look this this:

bloxx's_report.jpg

He is arguing that I could not have cleared my usage sats as this would clear all the other usage sats for other users going through the Bloxx's Web Filter. I would really appreciate some advice as I really enjoy my job and believe this is personal.

Many thanks

Ash

Thank Post
    It can be argued that it is a necessity of your job to bypass the filter - how else can you check whether a site can be unblocked? It is unlikely that bypassing the web filter will bring the network down. Check the settings of the group you are in within bloxx - it could well be set to bypass filtering, or not to log.

3. Thanks to clareq from:

MTechDude (5th July 2014)

Thank Post

BLOXX Web Filtering Reporting...

Well I'd ask the question as to how you were going to bring the network down this way? It would be much easier to delete a few important files here and there or to bring something nasty in on a memory stick.

Apart from that, the report doesn't really prove an awful lot except that it hasn't logged anything. I'd speak to your HR people and tell them of your concerns and keeps records of all communications between you and the NM. Incidentally have you approached him at all about this and why do you think he wants to get rid of you?

5. Thanks to truebluesteve from:

MTechDude (5th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for your valued replies 'clareq' and 'truebluesteve', I seriously believe the issue is personnel. He see's me as dead wood and is looking to remove me from my position. Could anyone please provide me with an empty bloxx's report for a user as I believe this one is photo-shopped by him as I don't think the formatting is right! Unfortunately I do not have the login for the Bloxx's box anymore since this new Network Manager has started!

I need help from my fellow IT Professionals please.

Cheers

Ash

Thank Post
    We use to use BLOXX and can't remember the reports looking like that.

I could fire the box up for you and generate a report for you to compare if you need it.

There are a couple of things worth checking regarding your situation.

Firstly I would check your AUP to see what it says regarding your Internet access as part of your role and the checking of user Internet access.

I'm a NM in my current role and our AUP says I can't just look in to a users Internet history not even a students. I have to be requested to look, student access requests come from teachers and staff requests from the SLT.

Secondly check if any group policies are applied to you and your workstation. Are you even able to bypass the filtering like it is being suggested.

Probably most importantly would be to speak your union if you are in one or the head teacher and request that the very same report showing no Internet access is generated again in your presence to prove its legitimacy.

8. Thanks to AngryITGuy from:

MTechDude (6th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi AngryITGuy,

I would be very grateful if you could please generate a report so I can compare it. The situation has really got me down and depressed. We have three proxies for our school

1. 'unfiltered.proxy.rmplc.co.uk' (as name suggests an unfiltered proxy which does not go through our bloxx's box so does not record web traffic)
    2. 'proxy.rmplc.co.uk' (which is less unfiltered but goes through our bloxx's box and monitors web traffic)
    3. 'lws-wf' (which is our school proxy and goes through our bloxx's box to monitor traffic)

My new Network Manager is accusing me of only using proxy number 1. for all my web browsing therefore exposing the school to a permanent security hole which could bring down our network even though we have Sophos Enterprise Solution protecting us. I have argued so much that I only use proxy number 1. to test websites or download content for school, which can't be done on proxy number 2. or 3. but he does not believe me and has therefore instigated a disciplinary action against me!

I would be in debt to you AngryITGuy if you could generate an empty traffic report from bloxx's to help me out.

Many Many thanks

Ash

Thank Post
    The report he's pulled looks as though it is only recording access through proxy 3. To be honest it looks genuine to me - I have reports generated on a schedule, and so look at them daily, and although I would never pull a report like that (it doesn't record unclassified access, which is what I'm interested in) it is how an empty report would look.

11. Thanks to clareq from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Ok get union advice, keep a record of all interactions between the 2 of you.

If that's all he basing his accusation on then to be honest it's very very lacking in any factual proof of wrongdoing by you.

Ben

13. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    What ever happened to good old record a conversation by mobile phone to catch him in the act? It's what I would do if i suspected any foul play by my boss.

15. Thanks to ass17 from:

MTechDude (7th July 2014)

Thank Post
    bloxx.pngHere's a report I've just pulled off my Bloxx box

Thank Post
    My advice would be to block our your school name and name from the image in the original post.

Thank Post
    Strikes me that there are three issues.
    1. Can he prove that you used an unfiltered proxy?
    2. Even if you did, is it the case that you placed the school at any risk by doing so? Given that you accessed a proxy provided by RM, I think he'd struggle to make that case!
    3. Even if he somehow made that case, is it a disciplinary case?

It sounds like your NM doesn't have the first clue about what he's talking about, and the biggest risk to the network security is probably him (I speak as a Network Manager with over 15 years experience).

My approach would be to simply lay out the facts as you see them, and make him disprove what you say.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread