Poll: Do you allow youtube in your school?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Do you allow youtube in your school? in Technical; Sorry if there has been a poll on this before, but I couldn't find one (or at least a recent ...
    Thank Post

Do you allow youtube in your school?

Sorry if there has been a poll on this before, but I couldn't find one (or at least a recent one). Please delete and redirect me if this is the case.

We are opting for a BYOD strategy in our school. This is complimented very well by our new shiny cross-platform VLE (Firefly). Staff are keen, beavering away building bundles of content and resources (i'm quite impressed, never thought i'd see such enthusiasm). However, there are lots of youtube clips being added (understandably). This isn't a problem if the teacher is showing this in class (teachers have access to youtube, student do not). But, once the students are asked to watch it in their own time - they cannot (if in school) because of the block.

We have been toying with the idea of unblocking youtube across the school. The idea of this poll is to get an idea on the general feeling amongst you guys and how other schools view or achieve this.

We have looked at Youtube for school but it really doesn't suit our needs (or work particularly well). I don't want to burden a particular member of IT staff to be a 'youtube monitor' and have to deal with adding videos to a whitelist. I also feel this approach will stem the flow of great content currently being uploaded by the staff. I haven't found any other suitable way of achieving what we want - please let me know if you have!

Unfortunately, our current webfilter (barracuda) does not have the ability to block the comments section of youtube so we'd have to find a way of doing that separately. I am also aware of the bandwidth implications so no need to mention that in any comments. Contructive comments greatly appreciated (not that they aren't ever). Did you inform parents, or get their consent? Did you write a specific policy? Do you monitor and sanction?

Demographic;
    We are a small single-sex independent school of 200 girls, Year 7 - Year 13.
    Last edited by Ben_Stanton; 17th June 2014 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes to a point, where I work it is unblocked at lunch before school and after school but in lessons it's blocked via impero to all KS3 and KS4 students unless a request is made from a teacher to unblock it. Sixth form can uses it as well as all staff.

3. Thanks to Grey-gear from:

russdev (18th June 2014)

Thank Post
    We allow youtube here for Staff and some students. Those students who require access to Youtube require their teacher to email us a list of students in their class which we will then allow to the access policy. This stops kids walking in and giving the generic reason of "revision". This was a decision made by our SLT we may look at opening this up to the whole of our Sixth Form Students. I doubt we would open it to the whole school just because it makes it difficult to monitor the viewing of all 1500 students. But if SLT want to do that eventually I'm sure we will have to come up with a system to monitor its useage.

Thank Post
    Only to staff currently but students will come to follow but they will be locked down you EducationalYouTube!

Thank Post
    We allow youtube clips individually as they are requested. We are probably moving to allowing youtube for the 6th form in the new academic year but that still hasn't been formalised

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Controlled. It's blocked by default for students, allowed for 6th form and staff. It's allowed for students upon request (teacher requests to use it, we allow it via Impero).
    Certain areas have it allowed regardless of user, such as the media and music departments.

8. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

russdev (18th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys,

However, I forgot to add the critical poll option - Unblocked for Staff AND Students. Can't edit the poll so if a mod could, that would be great.

Ta

Thank Post
    Secondary School : Unblocked here for Staff and Students.

Thank Post
    Unblocked for staff and students. I am coming round to the thought that blocking all this stuff is only making the children more vulnerable to problems on the internet when they move on to internet that isn't filtered either at home or elsewhere. Perhaps education and monitoring rather than blanket blocks. If you have BYOD and you block everything on your internet how do you encourage them to stay on yours and be monitored rather than using 3G or open hotspots.

Just a thought.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bclarke View Post
    Unblocked for staff and students. I am coming round to the thought that blocking all this stuff is only making the children more vulnerable to problems on the internet when they move on to internet that isn't filtered either at home or elsewhere. Perhaps education and monitoring rather than blanket blocks. If you have BYOD and you block everything on your internet how do you encourage them to stay on yours and be monitored rather than using 3G or open hotspots.

Just a thought.
    Exactly my thoughts. They will find a way around it in school (possibly harming your systems) or just wait until they go home (or switch off wifi and go 3G). I appreciate we also have a duty of care.
    Last edited by Ben_Stanton; 17th June 2014 at 01:42 PM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    We allow it for both and police it. Anyone caught abusing it will be denied access.

I have tried YouTube edu but it was more trouble than it was worth resulting in a lot of support requests for videos to be added.

Thank Post
    Hi mods @SYNACK @plexer, can you edit and add an option please (ta muchly);

Unblocked for Staff AND Students
    Last edited by Ben_Stanton; 17th June 2014 at 01:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thank you

Thank Post
    Unblocked for staff, YouTube Edu enforced for pupils by county.

Also, poll updated.

Thank Post
    Ours changes through the day, Staff and 6th Form have access during the day, at 6pm all in years 8 and above have access as well being a boarding school this includes facebook, youtube etc....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast