Poll: Do you allow youtube in your school?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Do you allow youtube in your school? in Technical; We use Youtube for Education here, unfiltering individual videos for use on request. This applies to everyone - staff and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use Youtube for Education here, unfiltering individual videos for use on request. This applies to everyone - staff and students, based on issues in the past with teachers accidentally showing inappropriate videos.

About 5% of requested videos get denied.

Thank Post
    We use Bloxx, which has a quota system. Staff have unfettered access to youtube, KS3 and 4 are blocked, KS5 have a quota of an hour a day - they can use that quota on youtube, facebook and other similar sites. Staff have the hour a day quota for facebook and other social media sites. No-one has been able to justify needing more time.
    Youtube also has safe search enabled for all, so inappropriate comments are blocked.

Thank Post
    We previously only blocked YouTube on the request of the teacher, however following a minor incident (where a student refused to work unless they could listen to music via YouTube) a vote was taken by the teaching staff and it is now blocked unless specifically requested by the teacher (so the complete reverse). The exceptions being Sixth form students and staff who can access it whenever/wherever.

Thank Post
    Allowed for Staff, allowed for students in ICT rooms, but blocked for students everywhere else. It's deemed a resource too good to block.

Youtube for schools is a complete piece of junk that we gave up on before it even got going...in our opinion.
    Last edited by mrbios; 17th June 2014 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Allowed for staff, blocked for pupils, but our VLE allows staff to upload* YouTube content which the pupils can then watch without any change to the filtering. Even better, it strips out all of the contents and adverts and suggested other videos. We use eschools based vle, but last year I tried My Big Campus which is a free offering from Lightspeed (you don't need to be a customer to get it for free). To be honest, I'm surprised Firefly doesn't have a similar feature.
    *Uploading just involves pasting the URL straight from YouTube into a box.

Thank Post
    We have it blocked for students, but allowed for staff... but unblock it for students if requested by the teacher - done easily as and when needed on a room by room basis via Impero...

We looked at YouTube for schools too, but definitely too restrictive... I think if there was an option for more than one account to have permission to add videos for student viewing it wouldn't be too bad... We've even got a rule in the Sophos UTM so the music department PCs can access YouTube off YouTube for Schools if we enable it, but didn't bother at all in the end... I hope they improve it as it'd be one less thing to manage if that worked like it should/could...

Thank Post
    Youtube education for years 7-11 and full access to 12&13. Media studies have their macs on full youtube too (which I oppose).

rdk

Thank Post
    We are a girl's secondary with a 1:1 laptop program with YouTube unblocked for everyone. When we made the initial decision couple of years ago it was on a see how it went basis. The reasons for blocking were mainly regarding time wasting in class and bandwidth issues rather than the possibility of viewing inappropriate sites - these seem to be common reasons here in Australia. I'm sure boys would pose different issues. Each student has a daily download limit (can't recall what it is), and other than a brief spike when it was first unblocked we've had no issues.

When our teachers return from conferences and meetings and hear that some schools still have YouTube blocked the usual comment is "how can you teach like that?"

Thank Post
    We have it unblocked for staff and pupils. The biggest problem is that pupils think it is their God given right to listen to music whilst doing their work. This would not be a problem if they got on with their work instead of spending the lesson looking on youtube. It annoys me, especially when I go into a suite and there are a group of lads around one computer sniggering. But, if that's ok with the teacher!

Youtube is a great teaching tool, without it I would have just taken far more screws out of a Toshiba laptop that needed. I do think that it is more useful in the classroom than the ICT suite. Watching the Monty Python clip is a great way to start the Romans module.

Thank Post
    Blocked for Students, allowed for Staff. Was unblocked for 6th form but they wasted so much time abusing it that we were asked by teachers to block it again.

We are looking into using Youtube for Schools - can I ask what issues people have had with it and why they don't like it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    First issue being that you cannot even sign up for it at the moment!

https://youtube.com/schools

There is FINALLY a banner at the top saying they are aware of a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    First issue being that you cannot even sign up for it at the moment!

https://youtube.com/schools

There is FINALLY a banner at the top saying they are aware of a problem.
    I love how they say "in the coming weeks"... They work on such issues quickly it seems...

Thank Post
    Yeah I know. Its very annoying, particularly when our staff are raising tickets about inappropriate content on the YT homepage.

Thank Post
    It would be nice to force the safesearch via DNS similar to the nossl.google.co.uk trick for google search.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12