+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, LightSpeed and HTTPS in Technical; Had to have HTTPS traffic stopped because LightSpeed was allowing students onto facebook and the like - it appears this ...

Thank Post

LightSpeed and HTTPS

Had to have HTTPS traffic stopped because LightSpeed was allowing students onto facebook and the like - it appears this amazing software can only blanket ban HTTPS so our students can't access Office365 anymore for e-mail - most excellent.

Also, many Google searches for images are just coming up blank grey boxes.

Its even worse than the Fortinet filter we had to suffer previously and of course our suppliers helpdesk is almost as bad - be nice to get a response one day!

Anybody else having these issues and know of any workarounds?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *head hits desk*
    Lightspeed is all singing, all dancing though....

Can I suggest you start shouting loudly at them. David Tindall is the chap you'd need to speak to (MD I think). You wouldn't believe just how much shouting we've had to do over here to get something sensible working, although we haven't gotten as far as Lightspeed which would fix our Fortigate related issues

Not interested in badmouthing anyone of course but if you'd like a laugh, have a chat to the guys at Rushden and Wrenn.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 5th June 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huxlow View Post
    Had to have HTTPS traffic stopped because LightSpeed was allowing students onto facebook and the like - it appears this amazing software can only blanket ban HTTPS so our students can't access Office365 anymore for e-mail - most excellent.
    This doesn't sound right. Lightspeed should look at the certificate for a HTTPS site and decide based on who it was issued for whether the site should be allowed or blocked. We have facebook blocked for some users, but they can still get to other https sites and I haven't seen any suggestion that they are circumventing the block - yet.

Happy to help a fellow school if I can...

Thank Post
    I've spoken to Rushden or at lease know of their issues think Matt is at the end of his tether too - same as Ferrers with their speed issue. Waiting for a call back that should have happened by now but guess what........and trust me LightSpeed does not fix fortigate issues it just adds to them - and boy does it add to them

Thank Post
    LighSpeed should do a lot of things that we were promised after fortinet just fell at the first that it doesn't appear capable of - sick of it to be honest been plagued with these issues for 18 months now.

Thank Post
    I'd like to help if I can. You may have found an issue I'm not aware of - my users could be doing the same.

I'll dm you my number. We might be able to help each other?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huxlow View Post
    it appears this amazing software can only blanket ban HTTPS
    Do you actually have an on-site Lightspeed device that you have direct control over, or is your service provided by some kind of centralised / managed service? Our Lightspeed filter manages HTTPS filtering just fine, you just need to give it an appropriate certificate to use for the man-in-the-middle decryption.

Thank Post
    Its a managed device - so I would have hoped all that would have been taken care of!

Thank Post
    On site appliance works fine here too so I think it's a managed service problem, as opposed to a problem with the actual product.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've been promised that Lightspeed will resolve our issues but time will tell on that. From what I hear from other users on these forums though general thought is very positive and it's looking roughly equal to smoothwall. I would therefore assume and hope it's just a configuration issue!

Thank Post
    Watch this space chaps. I can't comment on the specific issue and exactly how it occurs and why, but we have a case open with our vendors which has already been escalated.

I'll be in touch via the forum soon.

If you want to comment or have questions on this or anything else please do send me a PM.

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    I'll be honest when I first started with Lightspeed I thought it was rubbish but since then I've really grown to like it, the scheduling feature is brilliant for our borders i.e. no internet during prep and past 11pm, relaxed internet during evening break and locked down during school hours etc. I've just double check FB and its still blocked for us.

XiJ

Thank Post
    Got to say we've had terrible issue with speed and some filtering issues - I hope we are finding a resolution to them.

Dave seems a good guy and I'm really hoping we can get past these teething problems.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread