+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Joomla! (3) install with MSSQL Express, help! in Technical; I am by no means experienced when it comes to this! I am trying to install a brand new install ...
    Thank Post

Joomla! (3) install with MSSQL Express, help!

I am by no means experienced when it comes to this!

I am trying to install a brand new install of Joomla 3 on our web server that also hosts HAP and another website in the aim of making a new school website but am having some difficulty.

It wants me to connect it to an SQL database, great I thought, I'll connect it to my HAP logon tracker and VAMT database. The following screenshot shows my dilemma.

error.PNG

Please can anyone shed some light!?

TIA

Thank Post
    I've only used MySQL but basically it's the same. Joomla can't talk to the database. Check you have the hostname correct. Try using sa as the user rather than a domain user. Also, do you have the pre-reqs? I see there are some specific php dlls for connecting to M$Sql.

Thank Post
    I have followed the instructions in this thread: Install joomla 2.5 using SQL server db! | Joomla

I have copied the DLL's and added them into the php.ini file. I'll try the sa account now.

Thank Post
    Did SA account work?

Thank Post
    Nope, same thing. My gut feeling is there may be a permissions issue but as I say, I know literally nothing of SQL and its links into PHP. I'm migrating my IIS server to Server 2012 today while the kids are out so will come back to this soon.

Thank Post
    Try setting up php with this

IIS and PHP Setup - The Easy Way On Windows Server 2012 With Web Platform Installer - ESX Virtualization

It saved my going though all the documents

Thank Post
    I'll give that a shot, I had installed PHP previously the old fashioned way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyofDoom View Post
    Try setting up php with this

IIS and PHP Setup - The Easy Way On Windows Server 2012 With Web Platform Installer - ESX Virtualization

It saved my going though all the documents
    I wish you luck - it has been my experience that the Microsoft Platform Web Installer can't get to the M$ box which hosts their PHP. When I tried, the instal log had the url of the msi? it was trying to download and a fail message. Post the url into IE and it downloaded fine and I could run it manually.

Back to your problem. Why waste time with M$Sql? I would install MySQL (which is proven to work with Joomla) and go that route. We use Win Server 2012, IIS 8, PHP 5.4.9 and MySQL 5.6 on our Joomla 3 box and it runs swimmingly. We use Shibboleth too, but we have a man who set that up for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I wish you luck - it has been my experience that the Microsoft Platform Web Installer can't get to the M$ box which hosts their PHP. When I tried, the instal log had the url of the msi? it was trying to download and a fail message. Post the url into IE and it downloaded fine and I could run it manually.

Back to your problem. Why waste time with M$Sql? I would install MySQL (which is proven to work with Joomla) and go that route. We use Win Server 2012, IIS 8, PHP 5.4.9 and MySQL 5.6 on our Joomla 3 box and it runs swimmingly. We use Shibboleth too, but we have a man who set that up for us.
    both ways can work fine, unixman_again is correct in that the Joomla support will be better with MySQL. i tend to prefer MsSql due how much i use it on daily basis and easy of backup setup i have. i wish you luck ether way.

Thank Post
    I chose MSSQL because I already have a few databases in there and wanted to keep it uniform ideally. What harm would arise if I used MySQL on my MSSQL box? Would it run alongside ok?

Thank Post
    I'll connect it to my HAP logon tracker and VAMT database

Is that database called "Joomla"? Make sure the Database name is the name of that database you mention above, then set the table prefix to joo3_ so you can easily identify Joomla's tables within that database, as going off you're screen cap, you're trying specifically to connect to a database named "Joomla".

Otherwise, stick with database name "Joomla" but ensure that a database called "Joomla" actually exists on the MSSQL server... the credentials you're using possibly don't have permissions to create new databases.

Thank Post
    Yes, I initially used Joomla and it didn't connect. I went in with the credentials you see and made a new Database called Joomla, still wont connect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    I chose MSSQL because I already have a few databases in there and wanted to keep it uniform ideally. What harm would arise if I used MySQL on my MSSQL box? Would it run alongside ok?
    There is no harm setting up Mysql, just double check that ports in use do not overlap.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread