+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Providers (Leased line), Filtering systems in Technical; Originally Posted by IrritableTech Who you use to provide your line? Schools Broadband What filtering system do you use? Lightspeed ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Who you use to provide your line?

Schools Broadband

What filtering system do you use?

Lightspeed
    Cheers @IrritableTech
    We're with SB currently and are judging our options for various reasons.

Do you have an appliance on site or are you using their hosted lightspeed setup? If the latter, did you have any issues with IP range conflicts?
    How has your experience been with SB's support?

Thank Post
    Hello @synaesthesia

We have about a dozen schools on their hosted environment. A mixture of fibre, FTTC and ADSL. Because of the nature of the product, an issue can cause problems to many schools, but allows for greater redundancy than each school could afford. For example we had an issue last week with some packet loss - things were running pretty well, but monitoring the connection I could see some issues. SB identified the issue within a fortinet box, and were able to bring the backup fortinet online - nobody noticed the change over, but the packet loss returned to normal. A fix we couldn't have applied so quickly if we ran the box in school.

I know there can be issues with IP conflicts - although we haven't experienced any in any of our schools. If there had have been, I'd quite happily re-IP'ed where required. The last time I did it, it wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

Support is generally very good. The support team are pretty knowledgeable and helpful. There was a period in March where support calls were on hold for a long time. They had an large influx of customers who left orders late (my own LEA changed their product, and about 80% left for other providers for example [we moved four schools in March ourselves]) and this increased the calls. I know they've added to the support team in recent weeks.

I'll DM you my number if you want a chat.

3. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

synaesthesia (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    BT Business Fibre running at around 35Mb,would like a leased line but we are only paying £500 a year, adding a second one in the summer.
    Smoothwall on own hardware, going to UTM in summer for added oompf. It does a great job, support is better than 6 months ago, reports are awful still (had a demo of LS and they were loads better)
    500 kids, 350 devices + boarders
    Have thought of changing to SchoolBroadband but its double (if not more) what we pay now.

5. Thanks to Simcfc73 from:

synaesthesia (6th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGibson View Post
    I know that the only problem is the lack of detail about SurfProtect. It's basic but does the job. The answer to your question is Yes it can filter by AD groups if you can enable ICAP on your DHCP so it forwards there AD details to the SurfProtect.

My only criticism is the lack of reporting. It doesn't exist! Not an issue if you're a small primary but secondary will need something on site such as Censornet or Impero ect for user based reporting.
    Hi Matt,

If you have the NETASQ or Fortinet firewall from us a decent level of reporting can be enabled on there for you. Just PM me if you want more information or contact the support team and they will take you through it.

Reporting (especially internally) has always been a challenge for a cloud based filtering system, but as we have developed SurfProtect over the past decade and introduced ICAP, which by the way, if you do not have an NETASQ or Fortinet device also works perfectly well using SQUID. The reporting side is VERY high up on our agenda for SurfProtect at the moment.

We also have a lot of our schools who also use Securus Software to complement SurfProtect too, again just PM me if you want any more information on that.

All the best,
    Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Any filtering provided to schools without any level of reporting can't pass the new ofsted esafety guidelines surely? Primary or secondary. I know that exa will sell you a NetAsk box, which will help with AD integration and I'm told reporting. Needs to be a standard feature if you ask me, unless you are putting another filtering solution on the end of their line.

Remember to compare apples with apples. A feature rich solution can not be compared with a bare bones connection on cost, reliability or service.
    @IrritableTech is right. You can't get Ofsted outstanding rating in e-safety if you don't have any reporting on user activity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12