+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Home Routers in Technical; Hi all, Why Can I not find a decent router for home use ? My Technicolor TG582 provided by my ...
    Thank Post

Home Routers

Hi all,

Why Can I not find a decent router for home use ?

My Technicolor TG582 provided by my ISP, has, for want of a better word... Fried!

I've been trying to sort out a new router (not that I can afford to buy a brand new one right now). I'm on an ADSL2+ connection. The way I have it setup now is I have a Thomson Speedtouch 516 (single port) in bridged mode, with a Zyxel something-or-other Wireless router. The Thomson, serves a basic purpose, useless if you need wireless, or any port forwarding etc as it's locked to ISP firmware and have tried to re-flash 2 of these boxes and both times failed with Thomsons own firmware. I'm now on my third, port forwarding is almost none existant - you can only open ports it already has ... IE if you have a web server on port 80, fine it'll work but my CCTV is on port 3380. You cannot add this port to it's list it just fails, and if you try and edit the ports of another service it fails and reboots.

Anyway, So the Zyxel, setup in PPTP mode to do the authentication on the Thomson, Any setting you commit - the router reboots. Any setting you commit will not be set/enabled after a reboot so you have to do it twice, then when it reboots the settings will be there. WPA2, if you put a '.' (that's a dot) in your WPA2 key.. nothing will connect... remove the dot and everything is A-OK!

Another thing with the ZyXel is, the PPTP (PPPoA) is very basic, Username, Password and PPTP Server Address only configurable - struggled like hell to get a static IP configured on the WAN Interface, once this is configured - every 24 hours or so, according to the logs the PPTP connection gets dropped and doesn't come back up, a reboot brings up the link. Router has been factory reset about a dozen times!!!

Because of port forwarding not working on the thomson properly, even though I'm routing through the ZyXel the thomson is only in half bridge mode so ideally I need to forward all ports to the ZyXel... you'd think this is a simple task!! Nope. Will only forward the ports it wants to forward.

So no access to alarm or CCTV over the internet, and my VPN wont connect either!

It's a shame DD-WRT wont work with ZyXel routers, Even if I ran pfsense I'd have to run it in bridge mode but at least I now my connection wont drop every 24hours and it would be stable - and Wifi I could at least captive portal securely!

I wish I could afford something that would run pfsense!!

And breath lol... I cannot wait to get FTTH. I can use ANY router I like then!

Last edited by cpjitservices; 23rd April 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a fair few Asus, DSL-N55U Dual Band routers here. They need testing as they're failed customer orders. But would one of those do for you?

3. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

cpjitservices (23rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    I've got a fair few Asus, DSL-N55U Dual Band routers here. They need testing as they're failed customer orders. But would one of those do for you?
    You've got a few? I might be interested for my home use if you'd like to PM me a price? Fed up of my stock router, and it's replacement isn't acting quite as I'd like.

Thank Post
    I could get a replacement from my ISP, but they load customised firmware onto every box, as they don't use standard ADSL settings - so you can't just go to currys or what not and buy a standard wireless ADSL router, as it may not work!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I could get a replacement from my ISP, but they load customised firmware onto every box, as they don't use standard ADSL settings - so you can't just go to currys or what not and buy a standard wireless ADSL router, as it may not work!!
    Who is your ISP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Who is your ISP?
    odds on sky

Thank Post
    KCOM

KCOM Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sky in this area would be a god send.. WE ONLY HAVE ONE SUPPLIER!!!!!

"The main concern is that of Internet service provision; KC's Karoo service is the only residential broadband operator in the Hull area."
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 23rd April 2014 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    KCOM

KCOM Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sky in this area would be a god send.. WE ONLY HAVE ONE SUPPLIER!!!!!

"The main concern is that of Internet service provision; KC's Karoo service is the only residential broadband operator in the Hull area."
    Fair enough - I was wondering if it was sky too. Nothing to add I'm afraid around getting login details out of their routers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    You've got a few? I might be interested for my home use if you'd like to PM me a price? Fed up of my stock router, and it's replacement isn't acting quite as I'd like.
    @IrritableTech I'm about to take stock of circa 350 Draytek 2820 / 2830's as we migrate people to our cloud solution. Let me know if you want one dirt cheap

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 982 Posts
    A Draytek Vigor 120 ( to deal with the DSL Connection ) and a linksys 1900ac router ?

Draytek Vigor 120 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigo...ytek+vigor+120

Linksys WRT 1900 AC ( If money wasn't an issue ) : Linksys WRT1900AC Smart Wi-Fi Router - (Open Source Ready, 1.2 Ghz Processor, 128mb Flash Memory, 256 DDR3 RAM): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Not sure about the PFSense part , maybe have a small form factor pc with PFSense or failing that a virtual machine that runs PFSense ?

Maybe the WRT54G ( disable the wireless on the router ) and use your own WiFi AP ) and you can shove tomato, OpenWRT and or DD-WRT or something similar on that ?

Failing that maybe a netgear router and do something similar ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd April 2014 at 04:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    @ICTDirect_Dave - Are those the dark knight routers, if so how much ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    @IrritableTech I'm about to take stock of circa 350 Draytek 2820 / 2830's as we migrate people to our cloud solution. Let me know if you want one dirt cheap

Dave
    Dirt cheap - I like the sound of this. I'll email you.

I was thinking about the draytek 120 and mikrotik combo you know so well, but you've got me thinking now...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post

Dave
    @SchoolsBroadband - How much is dirt cheap and is this offer only to @IrritableTech ??

Thank Post
    Id like to know the price of the Drayteks too...

well @mac_shinobi.. .. depends whether the draytek 120 works with a KC connection!! - Netgears have a major problem with KC.

Thank Post
    Id like to know the price of the Drayteks too...

well @mac_shinobi.. .. depends whether the draytek 120 works with a KC connection!! - Netgears have a major problem with KC.
    No idea - don't see why not though as the draytek vigor 120 is an actual DSL Modem as apposed to the netgear modems that aren't that brilliant, prolly better speaking to KCOM Support etc ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast