+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, how internetwork works? in Technical; hello friends. i'm a computer student from india. i know some basic things but still confused. i don't know how ...

Thank Post

how internetwork works?

hello friends. i'm a computer student from india. i know some basic things but still confused.
    i don't know how it exactly works. i have some doubts.

how two countries (server) can be connected? i have heard it is done through large optical cable wires under the sea. it is unbelievable thing. but i know it is true. but when satellite is used then?

i know things about client and server. if i google something like 'yahoo answers', it shows 'in.yahoo.answers.com'. why it doesn't show yahoo's main site? how does it work?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hiren43 View Post
    how two countries (server) can be connected? i have heard it is done through large optical cable wires under the sea. it is unbelievable thing. but i know it is true. but when satellite is used then?
    A good place to start might be Wikipedia's page on the Internet Protocol (IP):

Internet Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Different language translations are probably available, too, which might come in handy if English isn't your native language.

You're right, the engineering involved in running a cable accross the sea is quite remarkable when you think about it, as is putting a communications satellite in orbit. The internet protocol is designed to use multiple channels, if available, to communicate between locations. Each communications channel (under-sea fibre, satellite, etc) is weighted according to speed / cost / bandwidth, so in most cases traffic from one country to another probably goes via undersea fibre, but if a link goes down it might use satellite instead.

How Google's search algorythm works is separate from "the Internet", and the exact details are generally Google well-kept secret. Other search engines are available for you to examine, though - it might be worth finding one you can look through to source code for.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    A good place to start might be Wikipedia's page on the Internet Protocol (IP):

Internet Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Different language translations are probably available, too, which might come in handy if English isn't your native language.

You're right, the engineering involved in running a cable accross the sea is quite remarkable when you think about it, as is putting a communications satellite in orbit. The internet protocol is designed to use multiple channels, if available, to communicate between locations. Each communications channel (under-sea fibre, satellite, etc) is weighted according to speed / cost / bandwidth, so in most cases traffic from one country to another probably goes via undersea fibre, but if a link goes down it might use satellite instead.

How Google's search algorythm works is separate from "the Internet", and the exact details are generally Google well-kept secret. Other search engines are available for you to examine, though - it might be worth finding one you can look through to source code for.
    thanks for your satellite and under-sea fible concept. so basically priority is given to fibre optics then satellite.

and about google thing, it gives result of nearest server. just like i said, answers.yahoo.com.
    its main server will be somewhere else but it also has its server located in india. thats why the request first goes there and shows the result. am i right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hiren43 View Post
    thanks for your satellite and under-sea fible concept. so basically priority is given to fibre optics then satellite.
    I'm not sure exactly how data is exchanged between countries, I'm guessing fibre connections are used rather more - satellite is going to be expensive.

and about google thing, it gives result of nearest server. just like i said, answers.yahoo.com.
    its main server will be somewhere else but it also has its server located in india. thats why the request first goes there and shows the result. am i right?
    Google, Yahoo and so on don't have single servers these days, they have whole data centres in each country. Google's search algorithm might well return some results based on geographical location, but it's more likely to be weighted towards what it thinks you're searching for, based on whatever words you have typed in. I'm used to using the UK site, I don't know how Google does lexical analysis in other languages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,096 Posts
    There's a great interactive map of all of the undersea cables on the website below.

Submarine Cable Map 2014 « Telegeography

The information age is powered by thin fiber-optic cables buried in the sea bed, spreading between continents to connect the most remote corners of the planet. These great arteries account for practically all of our international web traffic, and each one has been logged by Washington research firm Telegeography in its interactive Submarine Cable Map 2014. (Source)

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (19th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how data is exchanged between countries, I'm guessing fibre connections are used rather more - satellite is going to be expensive.

Google, Yahoo and so on don't have single servers these days, they have whole data centres in each country. Google's search algorithm might well return some results based on geographical location, but it's more likely to be weighted towards what it thinks you're searching for, based on whatever words you have typed in. I'm used to using the UK site, I don't know how Google does lexical analysis in other languages.

uploadfromtaptalk1397878685985.jpg

As more Web pages link to Discovery's Planet Earth page, the Discovery page's rank increases. When Discovery's page ranks higher than other pages, it shows up at the top of the Google search results page.

Because Google looks at links to a Web page as a vote, it's not easy to cheat the system. The best way to make sure your Web page is high up on Google's search results is to provide great content so that people will link back to your page. The more links your page gets, the higher its PageRank score will be. If you attract the attention of sites with a high PageRank score, your score will grow faster.

Google initiated an experiment with its search engine in 2008. For the first time, Google is allowing a group of beta testers to change the ranking order of search results. In this experiment, beta testers can promote or demote search results and tailor their search experience so that it's more personally relevant. Google executives say there's no guarantee that the company will ever implement this feature into the search engine globally.

Google offers many different kinds of services in addition to chat. In the next section, we'll see how some of them work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    There's a great interactive map of all of the undersea cables on the website below.

Submarine Cable Map 2014 « Telegeography

thanks. do you know how these cables handle requests? i mean how the client request reaches particular server across the country tjrough sea cables? explain in detail if you know.
    (i can google these things and read blogs but it may difficult to understand as the doubts will arise.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread