+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Unable to login to router/no upload speed in Technical; I've recently had an old problem come back where the internet at home drops out but it looks like you ...

Thank Post

Unable to login to router/no upload speed

I've recently had an old problem come back where the internet at home drops out but it looks like you are connected. If you try and browse any website it just times out. If you try and load the admin page for the router it times out so I can't login to see the status but all the lights look like it is connected and indeed the status on the network connection on the PC thinks it's connected.

This time though I tried running a speedtest on the app on my phone and it actually shows that the download speed is fine, but when it tries to run an upload test it just times out and then fails. From the PC I can ping the router & google but I can't browse any websites and I'm assuming this is because I have no upload so my request isn't being passed on? The thing that I don't understand is why can't I connect to the router to check any settings? The only way I can resolve this is if I reboot the router at which point I can browse the internet and I cant navigate to the router webpage.

Is this a case of a carp router and by replacing it with something better could resolve the issue or could this be caused by a line fault?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I've recently had an old problem come back where the internet at home drops out but it looks like you are connected. If you try and browse any website it just times out. If you try and load the admin page for the router it times out so I can't login to see the status but all the lights look like it is connected and indeed the status on the network connection on the PC thinks it's connected.

This time though I tried running a speedtest on the app on my phone and it actually shows that the download speed is fine, but when it tries to run an upload test it just times out and then fails. From the PC I can ping the router & google but I can't browse any websites and I'm assuming this is because I have no upload so my request isn't being passed on? The thing that I don't understand is why can't I connect to the router to check any settings? The only way I can resolve this is if I reboot the router at which point I can browse the internet and I cant navigate to the router webpage.

Is this a case of a carp router and by replacing it with something better could resolve the issue or could this be caused by a line fault?
    Virgin media? If so, get them to put you on the firmware update list. I had this issue and they updated the firmware which helped but then we had the same issue again and they sent us a new router. It still does it periodically so eventually (when I have the money) I'm going to put the poxy thing into Modem mode and put a decent router on it.

3. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

mac_shinobi (15th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Plusnet, but I've only just moved to them and had the issue before. I'm yet to contact them but they only provide a basic router which I swapped for an old BT HH which I had been using to see if it improved at all. But it seems like the problem may have gotten worse (certainly it was worse yesterday) so I'm not sure if buying a better router would help. I thought I'd ask here before going to their tech support.

Thank Post
    Sounds like it could be A DNS issue, we get this now and again with the ISP which is local to us, no internet but all seems connected - happens when a DNS server goes offline. Try using 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 on your PC in network settings see if you get a connection again.

Although your router not responding is strange, Have you tried turning it off and back on again ?

6. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

penfold (15th April 2014)

Thank Post
    @cpjitservices - lol yeah thats the only way it recovers. Every time it is rebooted it comes back ok. I'm just not sure why I can't get access to the routers webpage when it happens. I would have thought even if the problem was with the line, I would have been able to browse to the router page ok? It's as if something happens on the line which causes the router to jam up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts

Unable to login to router/no upload speed

Get any relevant settings you need off of it and or make a backup of the config

Do a factory reset on the router and power it off and back on

If there are any firmware updates , do them to get it to the latest revision

Re configure manually and see if that's any better. As per above mentioned by others try google dns instead of your ISP's DNS

If it is still the same or being flakey etc then either get your ISP to send a replacement router or if you can get your own then do that. If its a virgin media super hub etc I would suggest your own router, put the super hub into modem only mode and use your router for wifi etc

When I have been with both sky and virgin media when the Internet connection stops working I have always had local connectivity ie between local devices and can still get to the web gui of the router
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 15th April 2014 at 11:42 AM.

9. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

penfold (15th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Sounds like a faulty router, regardless of line state you should be able to login to it.

When it goes 'offline' is it still pingable ?

11. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    You could use the Virgin Superhub in modem only mode but if you are on a cable connection it's easier just to buy a new router with a WAN port.... Modem mode really is better for DSL type connections.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post

Re configure manually and see if that's any better. As per above mentioned by others try google dns instead of your ISP's DNS

If it is still the same or being flakey etc then either get your ISP to send a replacement router or if you can get your own then do that. If its a virgin media super hub etc I would suggest your own router, put the super hub into modem only mode and use your router for wifi etc

When I have been with both sky and virgin media when the Internet connection stops working I have always had local connectivity ie between local devices and can still get to the web gui of the router

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Sounds like a faulty router, regardless of line state you should be able to login to it.

If it is the vm super hub if placed into modem mode the ip address changes , not sure if this maybe what is happening

What does your computer or any connected device show as the default gateway and is that the same ip address you are using to access the web gui with ?

Thank Post

When the internet was "down" I could still ping the router and I could ping 8.8.8.8 but I couldn't access any web pages (multiple browsers)

Thank Post
    If it is the vm super hub if placed into modem mode the ip address changes , not sure if this maybe what is happening

What does your computer or any connected device show as the default gateway and is that the same ip address you are using to access the web gui with ?
    I'm pretty sure that I've set the default IP address and I can ping it, but can't connect to it until it's restarted.

Thank Post
    You could use the Virgin Superhub in modem only mode but if you are on a cable connection it's easier just to buy a new router with a WAN port.... Modem mode really is better for DSL type connections.
    Ive got a fifth gen AEBS and that has a wan port and four LAN ports.

Worked fine connecting an ethernet cable from the aebs WAN port to the first LAN port on the super hub ( after placing / configuring the super hub into modem mode ) which made the super hub only be or act like a cable modem as the other features on the super hub are crap at best which left me to use my own router as just that a router with dual band WiFi

I tried setting my own router in both bridged mode and not ( worked both ways ). Just depends how you want to do it

In order for the VM modem to use or allow it to use and connect to your own router I think if you power cycle the vm super hub whilst its connected to your router and your router is powered on it will pick up the mac address of your routers WAN port etc ( going from memory here so could be wrong )

Thank Post
    ok try changing your local DNS settings when it goes off see if that works.. could be a DNS issue .. would certainly rule it out if not.

18. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post

I haven't checked for firmware updates so I'll try that this week. As I don't think the router is particularly good, I was looking into buying one, but don't want to pay too much especially if it's not the root cause.

Cheers all

20. Thanks to penfold from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    When the internet was "down" I could still ping the router and I could ping 8.8.8.8 but I couldn't access any web pages (multiple browsers)
    Is that the same for multiple devices or just that one whether its a computer / phone / tablet etc ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast