+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, New Website Issues - Help/Advice needed in Technical; All, Urgent problem. Disclaimer: Our website design and hosting are all outsourced by our marketing department and thus I don't ...

Thank Post

New Website Issues - Help/Advice needed

All,

Urgent problem.
    Disclaimer: Our website design and hosting are all outsourced by our marketing department and thus I don't know the exact setup. Plus my webserver configuration knowledge is not the best. However I still get asked if there is a problem.

We have moved design company and hosting today to a new website and new server with a new company. I have changed the DNS settings however when we put in our URL I get a 404 URL not found error page.

New company seem to be hosting multiple sites on the same server, this our site is physically set up in a subdomain of their hosting. So our site is physically at
    <subdomain>.<HostingCompany>.co.uk.

As per the request I've removed the A records in DNS where www.<OurWebsite>.co.uk points to <IPAddress>
    and created CNAME records where www.<OurWebsite>.co.uk points to <subdomain>.<HostingCompany>.co.uk

If I type in the URL <subdomain>.<HostingCompany>.co.uk I get our website so it's physically where it should be. However www.<OurWebsite>.co.uk leads to a 404 URL not found.

If I Ping www.<OurWebsite>.co.uk it resolves to <subdomain>.<HostingCompany>.co.uk with the correct IP address. Can then copy and paste the URL, <subdomain>.<HostingCompany>.co.uk from the Ping and get our website so I've not put it a stupid typo in the DNS. This would also seem to me that DNS is correct and working as it should do.

So what are the likely possibilites as to why www.<OurWebsite>.co.uk does not display a site?
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 9th April 2014 at 09:38 AM.

Thank Post
    DNS server can often take up to 24 hours to update. have you tried a web based NSlookup?

Have you tried ipconfig \flushdns also have you cleared your internal DNS server cache?

If all else fails try it on something not connected to your network eg phone to rule out where the issue lies

- - - Updated - - -

DNS server can often take up to 24 hours to update. have you tried a web based NSlookup?

Have you tried ipconfig \flushdns also have you cleared your internal DNS server cache?

If all else fails try it on something not connected to your network eg phone to rule out where the issue lies

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    CNAME records can take upto 48 hours.
    DNS can take up to 24 hours (though depending on the company receiving the request, it could be longer)

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I've checked internally and on our wireless which connects direct to our ISP's servers. Changes seem to have happened for their DNS and result is the same. As far as I can tell DNS is doing what it should (based on what it's doing here) and I'm worried that it's an issuse with the webserver config. I'm having to contend with waiting for DNS Changes to fully resolve with wanting to make sure there isn't a problem before DNS changes finish and our web presnece totally drops off the net.

Local DNS Changes would happen instanly and should work though...

Thank Post
    I agree, it should happen straight away!

Have you tried on a smartphone?

Thank Post
    HTTP 404 is File not found, looks like DNS is working so it sounds like it can't find your index page. Try navigating directly to a file, eg if you can get to subdomain.hosting.co.uk/MyFile.html try going to ourwebsite.co.uk/MyFile.html

If that shows up then i would speak to the hosting company, could be their hosts are not set properly for some reason.

If it gives you a 404 then you're being redirected somewhere else eg ourwebsite.co.uk is NOT pointing to subdomain.hosting.co.uk in which case speak to the hosting company and see if there's anything else you need to setup. You may need to change the DNS pointers in your hosting control panel perhaps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread