+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, BYOD Traffic shaping and blocking (VPN etc.) in Technical; We currently use a smoothwall box to filter traffic on a guest wifi network that is transparent with no authentication ...

Thank Post

BYOD Traffic shaping and blocking (VPN etc.)

We currently use a smoothwall box to filter traffic on a guest wifi network that is transparent with no authentication (I'm planning on changing this)
    However its completely powerless afaik at stopping devices with apps like vpn express, faceless vpn, surf easy, orbot / orweb etc. I don't want to overblock outgoing ports if I can help it, I believe I need layer 7 deep packet inspection to do this, however this is another cost on the smoothwall box.

So either I need to change appliance or find another solution, I do have an alix lx800 which has pfsense on it sitting doing nothing - would this do the trick between the WAN and the smoothwall ? I understand it can do layer 7 but not sure if it'll solve the issue.

Are there any appliances that cater for the BYOD market that do the job well that don't cost an arm and a leg ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    prod for @john, @robk, @tom_newton and others who will know

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    We currently use a smoothwall box to filter traffic on a guest wifi network that is transparent with no authentication (I'm planning on changing this)
    However its completely powerless afaik at stopping devices with apps like vpn express, faceless vpn, surf easy, orbot / orweb etc. I don't want to overblock outgoing ports if I can help it, I believe I need layer 7 deep packet inspection to do this, however this is another cost on the smoothwall box.

So either I need to change appliance or find another solution, I do have an alix lx800 which has pfsense on it sitting doing nothing - would this do the trick between the WAN and the smoothwall ? I understand it can do layer 7 but not sure if it'll solve the issue.

Are there any appliances that cater for the BYOD market that do the job well that don't cost an arm and a leg ?
    A Fortinet box will do this nicely for you. Pm me if you'd like s quote or to go into more specifics.

Thanks

Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread