+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Ofsted require primary schools to have individual computer accounts and tracking????? in Technical; I have just been told by our LA that Ofsted now require primary schools to use single user logins, and ...

Thank Post

Ofsted require primary schools to have individual computer accounts and tracking?????

I have just been told by our LA that Ofsted now require primary schools to use single user logins, and we will have to purchase something like Securus Education - Securus so we can show that the school is monitoring pupils online / offline behaviour.

is this true?

Thank Post
    I stand to be corrected but I thought specifying the logons is beyond the remit of Ofsted, the monitoring part may be valid though as it comes under safeguarding. Thinking about it the monitoring part is only valid if you know exactly who was using what logon so that would imply the logon part.

Thinking even further though how does this work for iPads and the like? Some monitoring systems do not work on iOS and unless you are going to play with profiles at the start of each lesson you would still have no idea on who is using what.

(I know this is a little scattered but it is a good reflection of my mind at the moment!)

Thank Post
    IIRC (IANAOI), you have to show what you're doing to and how you're safeguarding (including e-safety) pupils and Securus is one method you can use to do this.

They don't (tend) to get into specifics, it's more "you're supposed to be doing X, show me that you're doing it".

As a NM at a secondary school it would benefit me if pupils didn't get into the habit of sharing passwords at an early age and might decrease the frequency of unintended consequences, but I understand how that could impact teaching at primaries.

Thank Post
    All pupils from the age of 5 here are given their own Username, create their own Password and we use Smoothwall to extensively monitor the children use. We are as you've guessed it a Primary School and Ofsted have said to us we need to be able to watch what each pupil is going on and monitor them.
    We have implemented this on the iPads also as this question was raised and we have to do it on them so I have created an SSL page for them to login with. You'll be surprised how quickly the kids are catching on took them around a month to remember their own usernames and password.

As @pete stated it also helps when they go into secondary school and given credentials to login as they will already be used to it. Only year 1's on a generic Year 1 account are the pupils that aren't monitored this is because some of them can't spell their name correctly yet, though this does mean the Year 1 account is constantly monitored and if anything really stands out we can link the specific device to the time and location and drill it down to find the pupil who was doing the wrong thing.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I have just been told by our LA that Ofsted now require primary schools to use single user logins, and we will have to purchase something like Securus Education - Securus so we can show that the school is monitoring pupils online / offline behaviour.

is this true?
    Would you be able to get any links/official documents from them about this?

This could be the thing that allows me to finally get rid of our whole-class accounts. [NOBODY SHOULD BE USING THEM! WHY ARE THEY STILL BEING LOGGED IN?!]

Thank Post
    It is always best practice to have individual log ons. The only place where it may not be appropriate is in special schools for children with profound learning difficulties where staff have to log on for them and supervise everything they do.

If you are with an ISP like Northern Grid for learning then it stipulates this their AUP that the schools and LA have to abide by Northern Grid Acceptable Use Policy 2011-2012 - Northern Grid for Learning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Would you be able to get any links/official documents from them about this?

This could be the thing that allows me to finally get rid of our whole-class accounts. [NOBODY SHOULD BE USING THEM! WHY ARE THEY STILL BEING LOGGED IN?!]
    I sometimes get asked for generic accounts. In exceptional cases I do give them. The accounts are always formatted teachername01. I make it clear that the named teacher is wholley responsible for what happens on those accounts. I only ever give them for a limited period of time and deleted them afterwards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post

is this true?
    Yes, it caches all suspect activity as screen grabs. Even on a laptop that has been taken home. It then uploads the images when it connects again.

It can't be disabled (very easily anyway). It also isn't internet only monitoring. Anything on screen at all is captured.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Can I just confirm that the primary school requirement for individual logins is for Key Stage 1 and 2 which does not include Reception.

That said, our children get individual logins from Reception. The password requirements for this class are very simple, however... 3 letters, but shh! they are top secret and nobody else knows!

Thank Post
    This is the first I've heard of this?! I can't imagine our Y1 - 4 classes having individual logons...

I suppose I can just bamboozle HMI with some Squid logs...

11. Thanks to Blue_Cookeh from:

kevin_lane (8th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Please can I have any official documentation that you have about this? We are awaiting Ofsted and need to know if there are things we need to change - we have whole class logons at present

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    It was confirmed to me by @esafety_officer yesterday. Hopefully she can direct you to chapter and verse. This is the new Ofsted supplementary guidance for ICT

Thank Post
    I personally don't like Securus, I don't get it's purpose in a primary school. For me it rings alarm bells. Why would a primary school need to prove pupils are safe using the computers, surely in a primary school a member of staff would be supervising at all times? Don't we trust our primary schools? Am I missing something? It just feels like someone trying to answer a procedure\policy with technology and it in this case, it just doesn't work, it's reactive not proactive. Smoothwall is proactive and I agree with that. It stops the bad things happening, all Securus does is reports it. You still need to act on it and normally it's too late anyway. I wonder if someone is using the OfSted fear to sell a product.

Thank Post
    Yes, can somone point me to documentation that specifically says they need individual logons. Just looked through the Ofsted supplementary guidance linked document and didnt see anything unless I missed it. Funny just looking at implementing a key word monitor and screen grab using AB Tutor. Looks like I may have to make that more priority on my jobs list as we too are awaiting the call and are well overdue for it.

Thank Post
    What about tablets. Nothing on Securus info about tablets, and most primary schools would share a tablet anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast