+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, RIP LLN in Technical; Originally Posted by hallb15 I've taken the Cisco 2950 out of the rack, but our fibre link back to the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    I've taken the Cisco 2950 out of the rack, but our fibre link back to the civic centre terminates inside a wall mounted, locked, metal box to which no-one in school seems to have a key. Exactly what hardware is inside and who it belongs to remains a mystery...
    at a guess it will be the "ntl box" that in most of my schools went in a 1 u rack with 3 holes 1 used that the fibre went in and rj45 came out and went to the cisco a labelled shuk iirc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    It's time to break out the hammer.
    I've been tempted many times before! Its switched off now, of course, but it does bug me. I'll see if I can resist drilling the lock for a few more days. Its not doing any harm there, but I am curious.
    I did wonder if any of the 2950 units would end up on ebay but I suppose they are pretty useless without the admin password which most schools (including mine) don't seem to have. I do have a console cable though...

Thank Post
    I've been tempted many times before! Its switched off now, of course, but it does bug me. I'll see if I can resist drilling the lock for a few more days. Its not doing any harm there, but I am curious.
    I did wonder if any of the 2950 units would end up on ebay but I suppose they are pretty useless without the admin password which most schools (including mine) don't seem to have. I do have a console cable though...
    they only go for £5-10 on ebay iirc when I last looked

Thank Post

I've already reset my password. Did it on April 2nd!

Thank Post
    I've taken the Cisco 2950 out of the rack, but our fibre link back to the civic centre terminates inside a wall mounted, locked, metal box to which no-one in school seems to have a key. Exactly what hardware is inside and who it belongs to remains a mystery...
    i expect it looks something like the pic below though they dont all look the same

WP_20140423_001.jpg

Thank Post
    We left LLN last year and went with Exa-Networks with GApps for Education emails and ESET for AV. Was so glad to see the back of LLN (and SOPHOS)! Oddly though I got a phone call from the council organising to come and collect our cisco router the week before LLN were supposed to disconnect us?! Would have considered that being on the ball had the router not actually belonged to us and not them. No change in their ability to organise the proverbial in a brewery then.

Thank Post
    Just an update to the 2950 situation... A council network team representative has just confirmed to me that they have no interest in reclaiming the switches. Feel free to wipe the password and do what you will with them...

Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches - Cisco

When looking at ours we found the first 8 ports were configured for both our Admin and VoIP VLAN. In the past, this would have been useful to know. Some of our smaller primaries only had a few devices on their admin networks, but we maintained a small switch to get them running. Anyone else care to share any surprises?!

8. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

hallb15 (12th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567