+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Broadband install: need to change IP ranges in Technical; Yeah thats it! We are nearly at capacity as is but we are due to extend soon. The lease time ...
    Thank Post
    Yeah thats it! We are nearly at capacity as is but we are due to extend soon. The lease time is currently at 24 hours.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    This great tool allows you to calculate an appropriate IP range

From what you're saying, either 510 or 1022 hosts/unique IPs would be more appropriate than the max 254 on Class C. You can then relax DHCP and set it to 3 days or more.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

fairm010 (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks Michael, that helps a lot!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Asreal View Post
    Thanks btw folks; has been a great help!

Rumour has it that some of our extreme switches have had their IPs configured manually - anyone had to do this very much?
    I'm assume you know the IP address of your switches to Telnet onto them? Alternatively you'd need a serial cable for the console. Either way login and "show vlan". That'll show you all of the vlans and what IPs are configured for them. If your network is flat, this will be easier for you as you'll only need to change the one address. If you have multiple vlans listed with IP addresses then you've got a little more work to do and it won't be as simple as just changing an IP address.

To change the address it would be "Configure 'VLAN_NAME' ip address 'NEW_IP_ADDRESS'

Thank Post
    I'd change your ranges as suggested by your ISP. Adding another NAT device in the mix is asking for headaches. Double NATing isn't going to be fun.

We changed our range a couple of years ago to expand our LEA supplied subnet. I was quite nervous about it, but actually it wasn't too difficult.

I changed the IPs on the servers but placed the old IP address in as an alternative. That way I could create and configure ranges (in DNS, dhcp etc.) before the switch over day.

One important thing to remember I haven't seen mentioned is to add your new range to the sites and subnets area of active directory.

After you've switched over try to periodically sniff the packets on your network (I use wireshark). You can then identify the devices you missed in your planning. It's amazing where software/hardware/profiles etc. hide these settings. Then once you're confident you've found everything, you can delete the old - alternative - IP address from your servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All I'd add to this is if you have got multiple VLANs you'll need to look at your core switch and the routing /ip helpers.

Other than that everything is covered here already.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12