+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Why has my IIS server stopped working!?! in Technical; It was working yesterday - before I did any Windows updates and was using IE6 to test (say's alot really). ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why has my IIS server stopped working!?!

It was working yesterday - before I did any Windows updates and was using IE6 to test (say's alot really).

We are in the midst of changing ISP. Our old ISP had our server hidden behind a reverse proxy. Our new ISP has given us a number of real live Internet address to play with!

So being live on the Internet, I think it's time I looked properly at Windows Firewall and Windows Updates (how lax was our network security).

IIS is set to require an HTTPS connection. This has been working fine through our old reverse proxy connection and worked yesterday. The SSL certificate was self signed and waaay out of date.

I'm in the process of getting a proper SSL certificate. I've just completed Windows Updates (Server 2008R2 SP1). Firewall is now on and only accepting HTTP and HTTPS connections from the external interface.

The site no longer loads on a test pc. SSL error according to Chrome. Communication error according to IE10.

Doesn't matter if the firewall is on or off, I get the same - no page.

Turn SSL off (with the firewall on) and everying works as expected.

So, something had broken in my IIS SSL setup. Has either the Windows Updates and/or using a more modern web browser than IE6 made SSL certification stricter? Is it because I have a self certified certificate at the moment, or is something else stopping SSL from working?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    False alarm, end user stupidity! Forgot to bind the new temporary certificate to port 443 in IIS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread