+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Setting up linux box to forward requests in Technical; We use RM for our internet, using SmartCache2 as a proxy. I have recently set up a new VLAN for ...
    Thank Post

Setting up linux box to forward requests

We use RM for our internet, using SmartCache2 as a proxy.

I have recently set up a new VLAN for our wireless devices on a new ip range (172.10.0.0/21) and want these to bypass the SmartCache2 proxy and connect directly to the internet. We have been trying to use a linux box to do this, but now we're a little stuck.
    We have Ubuntu installed with 2 NICS (one on VLAN1, one on VLAN2) - our main HP L2 switch does the routing between these and our DHCP server.

We also have a CISCO firewall that acts as a default gateway to the internet.

I've set up a new firewall rule to allow traffic to pass through 172.10.0.0/21 ip range, and can see that it's working ok, with packets being allowed through.

The problem is that we keep getting "cannot connect to DNS" errors on the client end. We want to use OpenDNS for our BYOD, but even setting the DNS server settings manually on the clients doesn't work. I have set up forwarders on our local DNS server to forward requests from 192.168.3.108 (linux box ip) to OpenDNSs servers but still no luck.

I believe we need to use iptables on the linux box to forward 172.10.0.0/21 traffic to our CISO firewall internet gateway, but not entirely sure.

Thank Post
    Have you tried setting the gateways on your VLANS to use the Cisco rather than the RM ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    blast, beat me too it. Why route through something when you can go direct?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    blast, beat me too it. Why route through something when you can go direct?
    Great minds think a like Neph...

Thank Post
    Yes, but it seems to be that RM will only allow internet traffic through their SmartCache2 box. This is what's confusing me.
    SmartCache2 is just a squid server, with RMs software on it, which uses this upstream proxy: unfiltered.adslcache.rmplc.co.uk. This then passes through the CISCO, out to the internet.

On both VLANs, the default gateway is already set as the CISCO firewall. In theory, I thought if I took out the proxy settings from the clients, it would just bypass the filtering and get unfiltered internet, but that's not the case.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your best bet then in that case is to speak to RM. They should be able to give you a viable way to do what you are asking.

Thank Post
    Your best bet then in that case is to speak to RM. They should be able to give you a viable way to do what you are asking.
    I did, they suggested buying their SafetyNet+ with transparent filtering. I did back in November, only to find out that I had to contact RM to enable the transparent part.
    Contacted RM to do this, costs extra of course.. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and pay.
    Then it turns out that RM haven't released transparent filtering in the West Midlands area yet and that "It's on their roadmap" (I assume its the same roadmap that IE10 is on, as that hasn't been re-released by RM yet.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In that case, demand a refund, you purchased something with the express intention (and was told) that it could do something you require, as it cannot, it is not fit for purpose.

Thank Post
    ** Forgot to mention I did get a refund, only got it yesterday though after much dispute.
    Now we're left with a cr*p old smartcache box that doesn't do what we want. Solutions like SmoothWall are too costly for us

Just trying to find the easiest and most affordable solution for transparent BYOD filtering.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You wouldnt need a UTM device with smoothwall. I think they have software which you can put onto a machine (I think). @tom_newton can you clarify in case I am going crazy please?

Thank Post
    You wouldnt need a UTM device with smoothwall. I think they have software which you can put onto a machine (I think). @tom_newton can you clarify in case I am going crazy please?
    Oh ok, I didn't know that - have requested a free trial from them, see what they can offer.

Thank Post
    OR get rid of the SmartCache 2 and use the linux server and install Dansguardian/Squid anyway!! therefore alleviating you of the stresses of a smartcahe!

Plenty of guides to do so,

All you do then is allow your IP Range for BYOD in the exceptions rule and they wont get filtered.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    OR get rid of the SmartCache 2 and use the linux server and install Dansguardian/Squid anyway!! therefore alleviating you of the stresses of a smartcahe!

Plenty of guides to do so,

All you do then is allow your IP Range for BYOD in the exceptions rule and they wont get filtered.
    I am trying to do this, but Linux isn't my forte - I follow the guides word for word and Linux does something completely different every time :/

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No chance. Linux is quite straight forward if you follow the guides. It could be that you are using a different flavour of linux than listed in the guide which is where it could be causing issues. Otherwise it is solid as a rock.

Thank Post
    No chance. Linux is quite straight forward if you follow the guides. It could be that you are using a different flavour of linux than listed in the guide which is where it could be causing issues. Otherwise it is solid as a rock.
    Must be the guide then. I'm using the exact same version and some of the commands listed won't even run.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast