+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Setting up linux box to forward requests in Technical; Have you gone into Sudo or root?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you gone into Sudo or root?

Thank Post
    I'm using sudo, as per the guides I've been following. I think the problem is with squid though really, not linux. Although like I say linux doens't like some of the commands I've tried.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What guide are you using? I will set up a virtual machine see if I can get it done.

Thank Post
    Here are a few things I would check. First make sure your new subnet is reachable from the Cisco router. Use "show ip route" and make sure your new subnet is in the routing table. If its not there you may need to add a static route.

I don't know where and if there is NAT in your network but if the Cisco is doing it you may need to change the rules on which subnets get NATed to include your new subnet.

As you have an upstream proxy server you will need to verify with RM that this will accept direct requests from your local subnets as it may be restricted to the downstream proxy server.

If you are working on Linux as a routing box I would use shorewall as it makes rule generation and management much easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReBoot View Post
    Here are a few things I would check. First make sure your new subnet is reachable from the Cisco router. Use "show ip route" and make sure your new subnet is in the routing table. If its not there you may need to add a static route.

I don't know where and if there is NAT in your network but if the Cisco is doing it you may need to change the rules on which subnets get NATed to include your new subnet.

As you have an upstream proxy server you will need to verify with RM that this will accept direct requests from your local subnets as it may be restricted to the downstream proxy server.

If you are working on Linux as a routing box I would use shorewall as it makes rule generation and management much easier.
    I have configured our CISCO to NAT our new 172.0.0.0/21 range.
    The really strange thing is that we used windows + an older version of squid initially, and that worked fine through the parent proxy, using the same IP settings as linux, so it must already be configured to accept requests from our local subnets, as it's worked before.

I'm following this guide: Installing squid 3.3.8 and squidGuard on Ubuntu 13.10 with transparent HTTP and HTTPS · Cyborg Workshop (We're ignoring the squidguard/https bits for now - just trying to get HTTP working)

Willing to post config files if anyone wants to take a look! Will also check out shorewall, looks much simpler.
    Last edited by BassTech; 11th February 2014 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Uploaded config/log files:

Squid.conf

Cache.log

Access.log

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    Now we're left with a cr*p old smartcache box that doesn't do what we want. Solutions like SmoothWall are too costly for us

Just trying to find the easiest and most affordable solution for transparent BYOD filtering.
    I have 2 schools that use RM smartcache but it's going out of support soon. They don't have £10k for smoothwall either. I could set up on a linux box but it's filter lists that are a) essential and b) only available as part of a commercial product. I don't want to spend my life adding and blocking random sites - cheap / free filter list or web filter suggestions gratefully received.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12