+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Moving School Internet Connection in Technical; Originally Posted by IrritableTech Do you know what kind of bandwidth you are using at the moment? It's synchronous 100Mb/s. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Do you know what kind of bandwidth you are using at the moment?
    It's synchronous 100Mb/s. Technically we have 92 available as a chunk is used for the LEA phone system, which we're also likely to be moving away from.

We use The Dude for LAN monitoring (just pinging devices), but haven't delved much further than that.

Thank Post
    It is indeed... We used Dude on our old connection when everyone was complaining about it, only to discover our usage was almost solid 10mb from 8.45 to 4.30! We ran it again on our new connection and we now only use about 4mbps continuous because of the extra bandwidth overhead things arrive faster so overall we use less.

Thank Post
    I switched to BT on a 100/100 line, with a Fortigate UTM security/filtering device. As our web and email servers were already inhouse it was pretty painless to be honest. Even moving the sch.uk domain was a piece of cake, just switched registrar tags.

4. Thanks to Synkrox from:

Gongalong (31st January 2014)

Thank Post
    We moved from LEA to BT in 2011; We have a direct 1Gb 1:1 Fibre Line straight onto Colossus (throttled at 100/100), we can change our throttle in about 20 minutes all the way to 1,000/1,000 or in steps of whenever we like providing we foot the bill. Granted it comes with a cost, so definitely shop around!
    We jumped from 10/10, 20/20, 100/100 since 2011. We also manage our own firewall and web filtering services in-site.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    It's synchronous 100Mb/s. Technically we have 92 available as a chunk is used for the LEA phone system, which we're also likely to be moving away from.

We use The Dude for LAN monitoring (just pinging devices), but haven't delved much further than that.
    If you have managed switches you should be able to monitor the port which connects to your edge router using sntp and 'the dude'. You can then keep an eye on the graph it produces to see your utilisation.

If you give us an estimate on the size of school, I'm sure @SchoolsBroadband could give you an idea on the average they see from customers of a similar size.

The only reason why I asked is because some providers will adapt your connection to fit your requirements and budget.

We've just moved broadband as I said. New phones coming in the next few weeks too.

Thank Post
    We have a Smoothwall, so have a good idea of utilisation. It can max out at times, and of course Internet usage is only increasing.

I've asked SchoolsBroadband for a quote. I've also asked VM and BT. SchoolsBroadband replied immediately. Needless to say I've been waiting 5 days for VM and BT and still nothing. Sigh...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12