+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Puffin Academy Browser via Smoothwall in Technical; You're all probably aware of mymaths and its incompatability with apple devices. I noticed on the mymaths website a news ...

Thank Post

Puffin Academy Browser via Smoothwall

You're all probably aware of mymaths and its incompatability with apple devices. I noticed on the mymaths website a news article anouncing "mymath now available via puffin academy browser."

So Installed puffin academy on my ipad calculated the regex required to allow traffic to the ip's, turned off https inspection to these location and opened the appropriate ports (54, 80, 443 <-- according to the puffin faqs.)

Puffin now passes the network tests but as soon as it establishes a conenction if just crashes out.

If i tether my ipad to my mobile it works fine. Has anyone else got puffin academy working via the smoothwall?

Thank Post
    Interesting as we also have had issues with MyMaths not running on android tablets. I saw the info about Puiffin Acaemy I think it was on the Education City site. Have got it loaded up in Meraki to install but yet to try it.

Thank Post
    The Distribution of the app is fine, and i've tested it on a standard connection. Unfortunatly when i try to use it via smoothwall based internet connection the app just dies as it connects. Next time i open the app it want to send an error report. I have also tested Photon browser, this does achieve mymath on the smoothwalled internet connection but it uses a HTTPS proxy as to connect to a flash proxy so they achieve unfliter internet connections which i cant allow.

Thank Post
    You might find it needs adding to the "SNI allow list" as it does a bit of unpleasant tunnelling.

My advice: avoid puffin, as it is unfilterable, and their developers have been very unhelpful when contacting them about making it easier to allow their product.

Thank Post
    Tom, in principle I agree with you. But the puffin academic app goes some way to resolving the unfiltered issue. There is only a selection of allowed white listed sites. It fits the bill perfectly to get mymaths on Apple products.

Remind me how to sni it? IP ranges are

- 216.218.220.0/27
    - 216.218.223.32/27

Thank Post
    *bump*

Did you get an answer how to add these to the SNI, I can see the category but its a set one isn't it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the same Puffin browser used by people worldwide to bypass certain systems, allow hacked plugins etc to be used on devices that wouldn't otherwise support it? Really wise to use it in an educational establishment? It's handy for the odd Flash thing on your iProduct or modern Android but still...

Thank Post
    The academic version only allows access to a small handful of educational whitelisted sites. I looked through some old notes and found the SNI allow category. Calculated the a regex for the URL stings and put them in as a URL Pattern. It still doesn't work. In the Web filter its trying to load a page https://*.flashbrowser.com and giving a 503 error. Why its looking for a wild carded URL is beyond me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, will keep an eye on that then. Cheers

Thank Post
    My Maths works perfectly fine on my Android phone, I have the flash player app installed if this makes a difference???

Thank Post
    Did you get any joy with this?

Thank Post
    Hi All, I have been working on this problem for a few days now and still have no answers. I did manage to contact the developer and this is what they are saying;

"Puffin Academy uses TLS to secure connection between Puffin and our data center. In this case, it needs to connect to your HTTPS proxy server first in order to connect our data center. For uncertain reasons, our protocol layer can not work with that proxy server. It reported the SSL handshake via your proxy server is failed (bad certificate). One possible reason is your filtering system (Smoothwall) actually replaced the certificate and become a man-in-middle to filter content in a secure connection. And that cause Puffin failed to connect our servers.

It's definitely a bug that our network diagnostics process didn't find out this issue. But I'm afraid that this issue can't be fixed soon (or can't be fixed anyway?) I would like to thank you again for providing us these information. I will update you if we find a way to work with Smoothwall filtering system."

Thank Post
    Just as an aside I've been playing around with both apps morning and can see that the Puffin Browser & Puffin Academy App connect to the same servers, so be careful when attempting to allow the servers for Puffin Academy as you may inadvertently allow the Puffin Browser app which I'm sure nobody wants to do

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread