+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Meraki Security Appliance not blocking specfic site in Technical; Hey all. I have a Meraki MX-90 security appliance and for the most part it is working great. However, I ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Meraki Security Appliance not blocking specfic site

Hey all. I have a Meraki MX-90 security appliance and for the most part it is working great. However, I have come across a website that it can't block.

https://sites.google.com/site/millseagles/home

Have any of you had a similar experience and/or can you block this website using your filtering? If you can block it, what filtering method do you use and what appliance are you using?

I tried lots of different combinations of Blocked URL wild cards with the Meraki technician, but it just wouldn't take it. They told me that it was to do with the certificate that google issues. Meraki use a certificate based webfilter to block https traffic. Google just issue a generic google certificate that applies to all of their sites, and if they were to block that certificate it would block all of the google sites and not just the one we need blocked. I have registered the website with Brightcloud and they reclassified it as games, but again, the Meraki is set to use top sites (1000 top websites) for the URL category list size and this website doesn't fall under that filter yet. You can turn on full filtering for the URL category list size, but they suggested I don't do that until they have implemented a firmware update sometime in this quarter. They said the full list option is a bit buggy and advised not to use it. So this might work, however, I'm not keen on implementing something that might make things worse.

Thank Post
    I had a similar issue with my Palo, and i've just removed Https access to sites.google.com which seems to have done the trick.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread