+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Firewall Cannot cope with internet traffic in Technical; Good morning all, We recently purchased a Lightspeed box and part of the installation involved switching off our TMG server ...

Thank Post

Firewall Cannot cope with internet traffic

Good morning all,

We recently purchased a Lightspeed box and part of the installation involved switching off our TMG server for internal traffic and using our Sonicwall NSA 2400 from wireless devices only to managing both internal traffic and wireless.

However we are now experiencing slower internet speeds and and ping times to Google.com of around 600 to 800ms, sometimes with the occasional dropout. On the Lightspeed box it is showing only 35 Mb of throughput on average and the CPU's on the Sonicwall are maxing out. Do you think that the Firewall is just not man enough for the job or is there something else causing issues?

If I need to purchase a new firewall, can anyone recommend anything suitable? I would like to be able to use Application Filtering and also apply quotas to individuals / groups if needed to restrict their bandwidth usage.

Many thanks

Kenrick

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kenrick View Post
    We recently purchased a Lightspeed box and part of the installation involved switching off our TMG server for internal traffic and using our Sonicwall NSA 2400 from wireless devices only to managing both internal traffic and wireless.
    Are the Lightspeed and SonicWall boxes directly linked? There seems to be some kind of issue linking the two directly together - put a mini switch in between the two, that should hopefully sort it. We had what sounds like the exact same issue a year or so ago when we installed our new Lightspeed and SonicWall boxes. We tried setting the auto-negotiate settings on both ports (Lightspeed and SonicWall side), and we tried using a crossover cable between the two, but still to no effect, only placing a mini switch between the two sorted the problem.

Thank Post
    Just a theory, on our TTC v8 there is a section for putting in the bandwidth, I think the default is 30mb ish.

Thank Post
    Thank you for your inputs. I have resolved the issue for now by simply turning off some of the additional functionality. I think long term I probably need a new Firewall and will have a look around the Bett Show.

Many thanks

Kenrick

Thank Post
    Well that's an easy. One I've pm'd you but look at Fortinet. They are SERIOUSLY fast firewalls.

Thank Post
    Palo Alto 3020 firewall (and category filtering, and application level filtering, and DDoS protection, and threat protection) FTW...

7. Thanks to Oaktech from:

kenrick (14th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread