+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube for EDU - how to share schools playlist? in Technical; Just looking at YouTube for EDU today - have set my smoothwall box up correctly and have a test student ...
    Thank Post

YouTube for EDU - how to share schools playlist?

Just looking at YouTube for EDU today - have set my smoothwall box up correctly and have a test student network account able to get ONLY on to the youtube education area.

On our schools youtube channel (the one used to create the ID string for smoothwall) I've created a playlist and added a video.

I cannot see how to access that when logged in as the test student....

Documenation seems pretty limited and I'm stuck - even if I search for the school name nothing returns.

Thank Post
    I've also uploaded a quick test video and tried to access the URL of it directly by the test user and it says the video "is unavailable with the education filter enabled"

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    On our schools youtube channel (the one used to create the ID string for smoothwall) I've created a playlist and added a video.

I cannot see how to access that when logged in as the test student....
    As far as I know you will need to navigate to the channel manually. There is no way to browse for it (i've tried) What I've done is add the channel as a favourite in GP so they can just click on Favourites > channel in internet explorer.

Having said that its more trouble than its worth in a college and its now open and I just moderate it when I can.

Thank Post
    I got it working - somehow had linked a google + account to youtube and was adding the videos / playlists to the wrong one.

I find the whole google / google + / youtube experience very confusing....

Sorted now though, one account which I can add playlists/videos to.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I have had huge problems with this - @kennysarmy has been helping me but I have come to a halt
    I am able to create a playlist BUT I cannot do something with it so staff can see it.
    I have taken the URL of the playlist and created a shortcut with it in GP but it tells me the address is unavailable with the education filter enabled. If I make a shortcut using one of the video's URL it just goes straight to youtube for education - not my playlist.
    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or maybe give me some more instructions? I have followed the instructions on creating a playlist very carefully but maybe I am going wrong with the sharing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I have had huge problems with this - @kennysarmy has been helping me but I have come to a halt
    I am able to create a playlist BUT I cannot do something with it so staff can see it.
    I have taken the URL of the playlist and created a shortcut with it in GP but it tells me the address is unavailable with the education filter enabled. If I make a shortcut using one of the video's URL it just goes straight to youtube for education - not my playlist.
    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or maybe give me some more instructions? I have followed the instructions on creating a playlist very carefully but maybe I am going wrong with the sharing?
    Just to confirm; your users are able to access youtube.com and get redirected to the edu page and can watch vidoes hosted there?

Also can you confirm that when you visit : http://www.youtube.com/account_school
    and look at Step 1 it should show the HTTP header modification

something like this:

X-YouTube-Edu-Filter:CGNsMF3ZroN9MyMQJXu8e7

Can you confirm this is the modification being used by your smoothwall or other ?

Thank Post
    Where is Step 1?
    I have the edufilter etc sorted and it is all done through swgfl:
    [http://www.youtube.com/education?edu...WCVmFY4Q8wqhFQ
    Last edited by witch; 15th January 2014 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    I must be missing something really basic but I cannot see what. Help.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Where is Step 1?
    I have the edufilter etc sorted and it is all done through swgfl:
    [Bildung - YouTube
    If you can't see step 1 located here: http://www.youtube.com/account_school then you have a misconfiguration somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube
    Step 1
    Choose one of the following two options, depending on which works for your school's network:
    Option A: Add new HTTP header rule
    Please modify your hardware filter or proxy server settings so that all outgoing traffic to youtube.com contains the following custom HTTP header. The ID to use in the HTTP header configuration, written below, is unique to your school's network only. If your school is blocked at the district level, this HTTP header is then unique to the district network.

X-YouTube-Edu-Filter:tChMqnUWQl-ewW-gkC_myw

Option B: Create URL parameter rewrite rule
    If your firewall or filter does not support HTTP header modification, please rewrite all outgoing URLs to youtube.com by appending the parameter “edufilter” at the end.

Example:

http://youtube.com/?edufilter=tChMqnUWQl-ewW-gkC_myw
    Salman Khan talk at TED 2011 (from ted.com) - YouTube
    Exclude the &edufilter parameter from these file types: .css, .gif, .png, .js, .xml

Step 2
    Remove YouTube domain blocks
    Ensure the following top-level domains are not blocked:
    youtube.com
    ytimg.com

Step 3
    Adjust Settings and See Additional Resources
    Your network should now be able to access the YouTube for Schools version of YouTube.com. You can grant unrestricted access to additional YouTube accounts (such as teachers) and approve additional videos for viewing in your school.
    To Add More Videos for Viewing Within your School
    Simply add each video you want to make accessible from within your school to a playlist on the administrator account. You can create as many playlists as you need and all playlists created on the school administrator account will be accessible for viewing within the school network. To learn more about playlists, including how to create them, visit this page.
    To Propose Additional Channels to Add to YouTube EDU
    We'd love to hear from you if you find a great educational channel you think schools around the world should be able to access as part of YouTube for Schools. Please first check YouTube EDU to confirm that the channel is not currently included in our corpus of educational. If it's not, please let us know more about the channel by filling in this form.
    To Access Additional Information on YouTube for Schools
    Please visit our FAQ, which we update regularly. If you're interested in connecting with other schools that are part of YouTube for Schools, please join the Google Group. If you have any questions or problems, please see our help forum.

Thank Post
    @Gaz
    But I've done all that via SWGfL and they confirm that the HTTP header configuration is correctly created

I can create a playlist but I can't see how to make it viewable.

Gaz

Thank Post
    What I was saying is that you should be able to view this page www.youtube.com/account_school if you cant then you may be using the wrong account. It was a problem that I encountered when I first set it up
    Can your users view the YouTube channel? and view the playlist from there.

Thank Post
    They just see youtube for education, and can look at all the open educational content on the site. I'm not sure what they are supposed to see?
    I have used the account I created the whole thing with and the other account I have.
    When I click on your link, I get the google acct sign in page, and when I sign in I get "use YouTube as..."
    Whichever one I click on it takes me to the page that starts "Educate, engage and inspire your students with videos!"
    Is this wrong? What can I do?

Right
    I have logged on as my other school and I have found the correct account at least for that one - the one that leads to the page with the steps. So what do I do now? The steps have all been done.
    I have read the instructions about playlists - but I still dont understand where they are created? Do I log in to youtube for edu? Because I can't - it just ignores me if I try!
    Will the school just be able to see them on youtube for edu? Or do I have to do a shortcut or what?
    Last edited by witch; 16th January 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch
    Right
    I have logged on as my other school and I have found the correct account at least for that one - the one that leads to the page with the steps. So what do I do now? The steps have all been done.
    I have read the instructions about playlists - but I still dont understand where they are created? Do I log in to youtube for edu? Because I can't - it just ignores me if I try!
    Will the school just be able to see them on youtube for edu? Or do I have to do a shortcut or what?
    Ugh I blame Google+

That sounds like its setup correctly. The account that lets you view www.youtube.com/account_school is the account that you need to use to make the playlists on that channel.

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube
    Simply add each video that you want to make accessible from within your school to a playlist on the administrator account. You can create as many playlists as you need, and all playlists created on the school administrator account will be accessible for viewing within the school network. To learn more about playlists, including how to create them, visit this page https://support.google.com/youtube/a...57792?hl=en-GB
    I fear the playlist you have created was done so using the Google+ YouTube account.

Its such a shame that there isn't any official support from Google and I get the impression that they aren't actually developing it and its just something one of their code monkeys made while drunk.

Thank Post
    I am still unsure as to where I *should* be to set up the playlist. YouTube? YouTube for Edu, where?
    Can you tell me the steps as it doesnt really say. I go to the page and log in - then what?

Thank Post
    Now in my other school
    Tried to look at http://www.youtube.com/account_school
    I get a message "this page has a redirect loop"

*As far as I know I don't have a google+ account
    Last edited by witch; 17th January 2014 at 11:32 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast