+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube for EDU - how to share schools playlist? in Technical; If I type schools - YouTube name (the name that comes up on the login page) I get "page not ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    If I type schools - YouTube name (the name that comes up on the login page) I get "page not available"
    However, the URL shows the edufilter letters and numbers which would imply that it recognises the name?
    I appear to have several accounts but they all give the same result
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2014 at 02:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    theres a message on esi saying they have broken this at the moment. I was speaking to someone about it the other day and meant to post it. Are you using anon proxy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    theres a message on esi saying they have broken this at the moment. I was speaking to someone about it the other day and meant to post it. Are you using anon proxy?
    Using it? Don't even know what it is...

Looking further into this issue at my other school, it seems that the shortcut to the playlist works but the videos won't play - giving that message about them being unavailable whilst the youtube for education thing is enabled. The school identifier seems to be in the URL.
    I created them by logging on to the staff proxy so I could get to youtube.com/schools (if logged on normally it just throws me back to youtube for edu), logging on to my account, going to the school playlist and adding videos. I must have done something wrong, but what?

Thank Post
    Still stuck....really need help......

Gaz

Thank Post
    Can I suggest that you do a complete do over on this. I.e. make a new youtube account (it doesn't need to be related to the school, this is purely for testing purposes) and get a new header code.

It sounds like your ISP is doing it via the URL rewrite method if the school identifier is in the URL. Theres no reason that shouldn't work but I've never tried it that way, as we have Smoothwall we use the header modification method which hides the school identifier from appearing.

The issue appears to be with the way users access the videos. I'll setup another test account myself tomorrow and go through it again that way I'll be in a better position to help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Can I suggest that you do a complete do over on this. I.e. make a new youtube account (it doesn't need to be related to the school, this is purely for testing purposes) and get a new header code.

It sounds like your ISP is doing it via the URL rewrite method if the school identifier is in the URL. Theres no reason that shouldn't work but I've never tried it that way, as we have Smoothwall we use the header modification method which hides the school identifier from appearing.

The issue appears to be with the way users access the videos. I'll setup another test account myself tomorrow and go through it again that way I'll be in a better position to help.
    Thanks
    I can't do it again at school as SWGfL have done what they had to do and it is supposed to be the header modification - works fine redirecting Youtube to YouTube for Education - no complaints there.
    I don't really understand what you mean by doing an unrelated one and getting a header code because unless my ISP did its thing I wouldnt be able to see it at school, would I?
    I have the strong conviction that it is something stupid I am doing. I just can't see it. It is really really getting me down
    Last edited by witch; 1st April 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Its like YouTube isn't detecting your school code though. It allows you to view the playlist but when the video plays it doesn't play because it can't detect whether you are allowed to view the content.

The reason I suggest that they are employing the URL rewrite is because YouTube say the following.
    Code:
    Option B: Create URL parameter rewrite rule
    If your firewall or filter does not support HTTP header modification, please rewrite all outgoing URLs to youtube.com by appending the parameter “edufilter” at the end.

Example:

http://youtube.com/?edufilter=SCHOOLCODEHERE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gM95HHI4gLk&edufilter=SCHOOLCODEHERE
    I would say that its not the header modification because of the school code appearing in the URL. That said both methods should work regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by witch
    I don't really understand what you mean by doing an unrelated one and getting a header code because unless my ISP did its thing I wouldnt be able to see it at school, would I?
    Sorry I thought it was an option that could easily be changed. I guess I forget sometimes that some schools are fortunate enough to manage their own systems.

Is there anyone else on edugeek thats got it working on the same learning grid?

Thank Post
    Not that I have found as yet

Gaz

Thank Post
    OK I've just started this from scratch. Here is what I did.

1. Create gmail (google) account)
    2. Sign up for youtube for schools youtube.com/schools
    3. Create a YouTube Channel on the same account and give it a name.
    4. Create a playlist on that channel and add a video.
    5. With the school code create a header modification policy
    Notes:
    I created 2 channels. When asked to make a youtube channel and give it a name I first selected to created the channel name via the “Business or other name method” This doesn't appear to be working via YouTube Edu and doesn't let me view my channel via a user under the header modification. This account also appears as a second account.

I then created a second channel this time by just the “name the account” method. It asks for a first name and a last name but in reality you can enter anything. This is the same account that manages the school (youtube.com/account_school). With this account a user under the header modification can view the channel and playlists.

ytuserswitch.JPG

The account with the "Tick" is the account that works.

Thank Post
    Thanks
    I've done this several times - and now I have four channels with playlists.
    Interestingly, the playlist is the same in every case so it doesnt matter which account you sign in as
    As I said though, the header modification has already been done by SWGfL and I can't do it again

Gaz

Thank Post
    I'm leaning towards this being SWGfl at fault. It looks like you've done everything correctly your end.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Nothing to see here. :P

Thank Post
    But YouTube for Education works which would imply that the header modification works, so why not the playlist?
    Aaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can I get some clarity on this issue?

You've signed up to youtube for schools. After doing so, you've got your reference code and entered it into the SWGfL system for it to do the header modification.

You've then use the same youtube account you signed up with to create a playlist, and added videos to it - which unblocks them within the Youtube for Schools system?

You've then tried copying and pasting that playlist URL to a 'standard' computer, which is covered by the header modification?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Can I get some clarity on this issue?

You've signed up to youtube for schools. After doing so, you've got your reference code and entered it into the SWGfL system for it to do the header modification.

You've then use the same youtube account you signed up with to create a playlist, and added videos to it - which unblocks them within the Youtube for Schools system?

You've then tried copying and pasting that playlist URL to a 'standard' computer, which is covered by the header modification?
    Yes, I have signed up for youtube for schools, got the reference code and I have the header which means that all users on the standard proxy are now redirected to Youtube for Education - that's fine

No, not quite
    I have created a playlist under youtube for schools and added videos to it - which I can only do at home or here when using staff proxy which unblocks YouTube.
    I can do a shortcut to the playlist which opens fine and would therefore indicate that the "school code" is being picked up OK, the videos are there but when you click on them I get the message about them not being able to be viewed under the youtube for education restrictions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast