+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube for EDU - how to share schools playlist? in Technical; You create them on your schools YouTube Channel. Top right hand corner > click the drop down menu > Video ...
    Gaz

Thank Post
    You create them on your schools YouTube Channel.

Top right hand corner > click the drop down menu > Video Manager > Left side bar > Playlists > + New playlist

Sorry that reply took so long our internet has been down since 10:00am

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    You create them on your schools YouTube Channel.

Top right hand corner > click the drop down menu > Video Manager > Left side bar > Playlists > + New playlist

Sorry that reply took so long our internet has been down since 10:00am
    Yes, I did this and created it with no problems but I am unsure as to where the staff go to see this playlist
    Last edited by witch; 17th January 2014 at 09:37 PM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    They go to the YouTube channel where the playlist resides and click on the playlist and if they cant get to that then there is a misconfiguration somewhere. It sounds like you are doing it right but there is some simple problem somewhere.
    The redirect error you mention is quite strange and seems to be related to Google Chrome. Have you tried other browsers?
    Last edited by Gaz; 17th January 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes I have

The school with the playlist - if I go to YouTube in school it opens as Youtube for Education but i cannot sign in. It just ignores me. But swgfl have checked and I have the correct settings as far as anyone can see.
    If I go to YouTube for education at home it all works fine:
    Bildung - YouTube
    and I can go to the playlist: School Videos - YouTube

But not at school....ahhhhhgggggghhhhhhhhh

Gaz

Thank Post
    You shouldn't be able to login to YouTube with a personal account that is a feature of YouTube edu as it stops users logging into their own account. You should however be able to log in using your channel account.
    You can login using any account at home because its not doing the header modification.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    You shouldn't be able to login to YouTube with a personal account that is a feature of YouTube edu as it stops users logging into their own account. You should however be able to log in using your channel account.
    You can login using any account at home because its not doing the header modification.
    I did log on at home with the school account - the one I created the playlist with. I dont have a personal YouTube account. So you are saying that when I go to YouTube for education I should be able to log in with the account I created the playlist with?

Thank Post
    In fact, I think I have created three channels, because when I log in I get a choice of three channels. Is there a way of getting rid of the other two? If I do ever get this right, I can't have the staff logging on and seeing three- especially as two have the same name!

Thank Post
    Back at school
    Go to YouTube
    It defaults to YouTube for edu
    sign in
    so far so good
    It asks me what I want to use YouTube as...exactly as above, the three channel choice. I choose the one that has the playlist on it, click OK. The page flashes up, then is greyed out with the same channel choice on top. I can see through the grey that I am logged on but cannot go any further.
    I am slowly losing the will to live

Gaz

Thank Post
    OK I've just re-enabled it here to refresh my understanding of how it works. I've got a laptop next to me with a student level account. When I (student acc) open youtube I get redirected to Bildung - YouTube
    I can browse all the edu videos and via a link in favourites go to our channel and click on the playlists and view the videos I (administrator) have allowed the users to view.

When I sign into YouTube from my pc with an admin account that isn't restricted to YouTube edu and I login with with the channel info at first it logs me in with the email address I then have to go to "Switch account" (and choose the channel account) that will then let me access "youtube.com/account_school" from that point I know I'm in the right account and I can go to the channel and add videos/playlists etc etc

So there are two ways i know its setup correctly.
    1: When restricted to YouTube edu its not possible to log into YouTube using any account.
    2: When not restricted to YouTube edu its possible to log into YouTube using any account. (access to youtube.com/account_school possible)

Thank Post
    @Gaz
    A student doesn't have to log in or anything? That seems to be my issue - the school "code" is there but there is no way to get to the channel or playlist I have set up. No indication as to how to get to anything relevant to the school. And yet the website is redirected to what is presumably our exclusive code
    Did you set up the link in favourites? How?
    Your second bit, about signing in to the account not restricted to YouTube for edu is exactly how I set up the channel and the playlists etc.
    So - it seems that I have set up the channel and playlists correctly but it is accessing them that is the issue
    Last edited by witch; 20th January 2014 at 02:25 PM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    No students (in fact any user) aren't allowed to log in as that could potentially let them disable any features to let them access all of YouTube, that is a feature of YouTube edu it disables logging on and its why you need to also have unrestricted access to add videos.

The link in favourites is setup in GP via Internet Explorer Maintenance but I can't find the path as I think an update (IE11) removed it in favour of GPP. The link will then appear in their favourites of their browser.

The way that students will view your channel will have to be via a link of some sort as as far as I know they cannot search for the channel. For staff you can add trusted staff members to add videos via "youtube.com/account_school"

Thank Post
    I tried a shortcut but that still doesn't work. I just did a shortcut to the channel, but as I can only get the path when I am on youtube it blocks it when I am at school! Any info gratefully received

Gaz

Thank Post
    Are there any block rules still in place for youtube? From what I can tell its setup correctly.

Thank Post
    Nope - all blocks are removed - I've checked again and so has SWGfL

Gaz

Thank Post
    DERP! I think I'm running out of ideas then.

How about trying a different link to the channel, www.youtube.com/(channelname) OR www.youtube.com/user/(channelname)

I did experience it where youtube.com/(channelname) was blocked, but /user/(channelname) worked but I think they have fixed that since. That is however clutching at straws.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast