+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Enforcing Google Safe Search using DNS -- LEA Issues frustrating---- in Technical; Hi Guys I have an issue with schools I visit in a particular authoirity. The LEA has decided to toally ...

Thank Post

Enforcing Google Safe Search using DNS -- LEA Issues frustrating----

Hi Guys

I have an issue with schools I visit in a particular authoirity. The LEA has decided to toally block google and will only unblock it with authorisation from the head teacher. One school I have convicned to move away as thier speeds are absolutly shocking for the area that they are in along with having zero control over the Internet filteration. The others howerver are afraid of the concequences of moving away and decided to sign a form accepting reposibility and asking for Google to be unblocked for them.

My only issue is that this will not be safe search enabled as this was why they blocked it in the first place. Is thier a way to enforce this using my local DNS as I have no control over the filter.

The new one I've heard this morning is that to unblock the ports for Apple Configurator it will cost the school as it is a firewall change, you would think that this was free as they are paying a lot for this service. I find it sooo frustrating as I know they can get a lot better and are just plainly being ripped off.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    The official info from google is here... https://support.google.com/websearch...r/186669?hl=en

Our ISP have set the DNS method for nosslsearch (which my dns servers replicate) and our filter deals with the &safe=active bit.

If your authority block google, do they also block bing, yahoo, ask, lycos........

Thank Post
    Take it this is a primary. Do the LA not use some kind of filtering so a normal search in Google is checked. Not sure why they have an issue with a school using Google search as any other search engine can also return iffy stuff.

Schools should not be relying on safe search as a filtering system and should have a decent filtering system that can filter all sites and search engines.

Thank Post
    Hi Guys

thanks for the reply, Im currently in one of the school's so cant see the Google page until later or when they eventually un block it. I have no idea what filteration system the authority is using but totally agree that if it wa up to scratch this sould not be an issue. They now re direct everyone to Bing which is a million timew worse. I just wanted to do waht I can to try and lock it down a little i know safe search is not brilliant but its better than nothing for now until i convince them all to leave and find a better system.

Thank Post
    must have posted this on another post by accident but have a try of this,

Safe Search for Kids. The Google safe search engine for kids with friendly search.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Both those sites you've mentioned @edutech4schools use google to provide results. So I doubt they'd work.

Sorry it should have occured to me that if google was blocked you wouldn't be able to see the link I posted. Try this...
    download.jpg

8. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

stevo1565 (18th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1565 View Post
    One school I have convicned to move away as thier speeds are absolutly shocking for the area that they are in along with having zero control over the Internet filteration. The others howerver are afraid of the concequences of moving away and decided to sign a form accepting reposibility and asking for Google to be unblocked for them.
    Personaly I don't think there is a long term furture for internet services provided by the counties, RBC's were a good idea 13 years ago but now they have competition. As more schools move to other provision the remaining cost can only rise untilll the service is pulled.

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Should Google be unblocked and they want safe search enforced, redirect them to Safe Find - Safe Google Search - a Google custom search that enforces safe search and allows for image search too.

11. Thanks to simpsonj from:

stevo1565 (18th December 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread