+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Home internet issues... in Technical; This is a home issue and it's doing my head in. We have Sky broadband and for the past few ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Home internet issues...

This is a home issue and it's doing my head in.

We have Sky broadband and for the past few weeks it's been playing up something rotten but I can't put my finger on where the problem is.

It started with slow speeds but they've gradual come back up, but now it's constantly dropping out completely.

I've moved it to the test socket which is in the living room to see if it was an issue with the extension in the spare room but the issue still exists.

Now I can't decide if it's their end or the router. When the internet drops. It takes the wireless out too sometimes which I find weird.

InSSIDer says we're the only ones on this channel.

Any suggestions of anything else to try or do you think it's the router dying.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Does your router have a power saving mode?
    I had a similar issue on out TalkTalk router -and disabling the power saving helped us out a bit...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My daughters mum has the same issues. However she also has noise on the phone line. Everything inside the house was replaced by an engineer and still an issue... so despite me telling them they need to shimmy up the pole (giggles) they never did.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you please post your stats from: http://192.168.0.1/sky_system.html (default location on your router)
    Those stats will change depending on it being in the master/BT socket or the extension wire (bad)
    How old is your sky router? The old ones had several issues but sky wont give you a new one for free generally (£50 + p&p)
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 12th December 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Router is about 5 years old i'd say...
    sky_status doesn't go anywhere on mine. You after the bit with the noise levels?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Router is about 5 years old i'd say...
    sky_status doesn't go anywhere on mine. You after the bit with the noise levels?
    Wow it is old. Yeah the Line attenuation, sync speed and noise margin (downstream) are the 3 big stats, your extension will probably (99%) bork noise margin a lot and cause sync speed to drop.
    I would definately consider getting a newer sky one, they dont have AC yet but N is there and they are considerable more stable. I have been with sky for 7-8 years odd now (ISP) so I have had various modems over the years from them, the newest white one does seem good. They have a black version which has the added feature of self install FTTC but at a reduced speed from a proper openreach install.

EDIT: being a customer for this many years you may be able to blag a free replacement router (I have had success once before) but they dont like doing it.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 12th December 2013 at 07:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Untitled.jpg

Yeah, might leave it to my fella...he's better at that than me! haha!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I take it those stats are from your BT master socket?
    Your sync speed is very high for that line attenuation which could explain why its unstable (useful for rough numbers: ::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .:: but thats based on BT). That screenshot shows the connection uptime and it had dropped out again I see after being online for 45m or so.
    Next time you think wifi had died as well check the LAN uptime stat and see if the router had crashed/rebooted, if thats happening replace it. Hopefully you wont lose too much sync speed but if you keep dropping out sky may slow the sync.

9. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Little-Miss (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, well it's the test socket in the Master socket.

Yup, i'm guessing that's when the light goes amber...

So, are we saying router is likey at fault and i need to et a new one off them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Routers generally have a life span anywhere between three to seven years and you're bang in the middle. I would request a new router and see how it goes.

Thank Post
    They usually give you new routers free, or they use too. Ring them and go through the stupid tests were the person on the phone, tell them all the lights are orange or some rubbish so they diagnose a faulty router quickly and get a new oens ent.

I have 4 sky routers now, they kept giving me new ones when the fault was with the exchange.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would get a new router, the wifi will be better anyway but you may get a slightly slower sync speed.
    Sky used to give them out but the last couple of years they really pushed back at freebies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 832 Posts
    You can use a third party router with Sky, but you'll need to get your hidden username and password from your existing router, this link will help: https://www.cm9.net/skypass/index.cgi

Even if you don't plan to right now, it might be worth noting them down in case your current router dies and Sky want to sell you another as you can often pick up a decent router quite cheap.

At home I have a cheapo TP-Link modem connected to a Linksys WRT-54G router. Not the best for wireless (54Mbps!) but with Tomato firmware installed it's great for QoS and the whole setup cost me less than £50

15. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Little-Miss (13th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so i emailed Sky...guy is talking about running Dynamic Line Management on our line....

Good Evening

My name is Moushumi and I will he helping with your query. I did try to call but unfortunately was unable to reach you today.

The reason I called was in order for me to discuss further regarding your Sky Broadband connection issue. I personally understand how it feels when the Broadband connection isn't up to your expectation, however I'd like to keep you informed that there is something called Dynamic Line Management (DLM) which is a software synced with the line to monitor the connection speed and stability. This software will run active for 10 days to ensure that the correct speed gets configured automatically, you'll be eligible to get the fullest speed that your line supports if you let us run the software successfully.

I hope I have been able to resolve your enquiry. If not, you can click here between 07:00 am to 11:00 pm to chat with us online.

This link will expire on 20th December.
    Think it will help with the stability @ZeroHour?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    You can use a third party router with Sky, but you'll need to get your hidden username and password from your existing router, this link will help: https://www.cm9.net/skypass/index.cgi
    If you want to use your own router, all you gotta do is ask sky for the username and password. They will give it to you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast