+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Home internet issues... in Technical; Originally Posted by nephilim @ newpersn the likelyhood is your homehub is wearing out. Homehub 2s have been particularly bad ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    @newpersn the likelyhood is your homehub is wearing out. Homehub 2s have been particularly bad at this. It was the reason I ditched BT and went to sky. Since then I havent had a single issue.

Also, look at BT infinity for your area. The fibre is apparently much better than Virgins in terms of reliability.
    At the risk of sounding like a Virgin fanboy...how can it be any more reliable?

The last time* I lost broadband was during the summer when road contractors in Portsmouth chopped through the cables...hardly Virgin's fault and it was back in action within 48 hours...

Oh and even BT's estimate of the speed I could get with Infinity is lower than the solid 60Mbps I get from Virgin.

[EDIT] *and only

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a Virgin fanboy...how can it be any more reliable?

The last time* I lost broadband was during the summer when road contractors in Portsmouth chopped through the cables...hardly Virgin's fault and it was back in action within 48 hours...

Oh and even BT's estimate of the speed I could get with Infinity is lower than the solid 60Mbps I get from Virgin.

[EDIT] *and only
    Ive had all sorts of issues with virgin media with there speed throttling, traffic shaping / management to being over subscribed in our area and not being advised of this until after you've signed on the dotted line so to speak an the response from the engineers on numerous occasions was something to the effect of oh look speedtest.net shows 60mbps but then you try and do video streaming ie youtube / catchup tv etc and the videos were repeatedly buffering and they just left it as is and couldn't fix the issues. We were on the XXL Package for all of it and am not being funny but we were paying 70 a month for tv, broadband and phone and customer service was something to be desired oh and the super hubs regardless of version was far from super!!

With sky now and ADSL2+ and the connection although slower has been rock solid and consistent and not had issues video streaming etc and customer service has been spot on and cheaper than VM in comparison. Can't get bt infinity in our area so can't comment on that

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're stuffed re: Virgin because no fiber optic was run in this estate. What madness is that‽ It was only built over 6 years ago, say. I'm in Birmingham not the middle of nowhere!

Anyway, after been told to wait I chased them, with Mani giving me his promise it would be sorted in 24 hours (oh how
    I laughed). I set the fella on them this evening.

According to them, there's no issue with my router, and no issue at the exchange. So there's an engineer coming out Monday morning.

So what exactly are they going to test now? The connection between us on the box on the road?

I'm guessing if it's an internet issue they won't touch it and then we have to get the landlord involved. Maybe this'll make the fella consider moving out...

Thank Post
    Funny enough. Sky tired telling me it my laptop. Once I said I was an it technician he change his script

Wanted me to try
    Wire
    Wireless
    And our phones.
    Changed wireless channel.

Since we had the case logged they changed the master socket. Check the house and box in the road (and the telephone pole)

Our issues was when it was peak time. Our speed dropped from 14meg down to 1-2meg.

Thank Post
    Dunno if it's improved now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    43 hours connected is pretty good but that noise margin is still quite low so it could drop out. Sky always claimed it was line not exchange until 3 months passed then suddenly it was the exchange overloaded but they then claimed that the exchange wouldnt cause my symptoms but magically it went away at the same time as they fixed the exchange.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've gone from intermittent, to no internet at all.

We're sending them our 3G bills as the lady suggested. It's killing me now though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123