+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Home internet issues... in Technical; Originally Posted by stevehill06 If you want to use your own router, all you gotta do is ask sky for ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    If you want to use your own router, all you gotta do is ask sky for the username and password. They will give it to you.
    A lot of people are saying it's against the T&C's to use your own.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sky will let you do it but it voids any service calls except for complete service loss on the internet.

Thank Post
    Surely if it was against the t&c's, they wouldn't have given me my username and password to use in my own router

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Sky will let you do it but it voids any service calls except for complete service loss on the internet.
    I can understand that, why would they want to look after kit you've bought yourself?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    Surely if it was against the t&c's, they wouldn't have given me my username and password to use in my own router
    T&C's must have changed then, they never used to give the username and password out, they purposely hide it on older routers (not sure about newer ones, haven't used a "Sky" router in years) and, well, the fact a website to extract the details exists tells you it wasn't always easy...

Thank Post
    Does this seem alright

Our broadband seems to be lagging. Just my self on the Internet. Can't stream tv or surf the Internet without waiting an age

Plus we had a BT engineer out and they can't find any noise on the line. (2nd time we logged the call about the same problem)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @newpersn the likelyhood is your homehub is wearing out. Homehub 2s have been particularly bad at this. It was the reason I ditched BT and went to sky. Since then I havent had a single issue.

Also, look at BT infinity for your area. The fibre is apparently much better than Virgins in terms of reliability.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    @newpersn the likelyhood is your homehub is wearing out. Homehub 2s have been particularly bad at this. It was the reason I ditched BT and went to sky. Since then I havent had a single issue.

Also, look at BT infinity for your area. The fibre is apparently much better than Virgins in terms of reliability.
    We are with sky. We got the white hub. We can't get fibre yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    A homehub wearing out?

Failing due to bad components or designI could understand.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Ok, so i emailed Sky...guy is talking about running Dynamic Line Management on our line....

Think it will help with the stability @ZeroHour?
    DLM may but it will reduce your sync speed I suspect. If they activate DLM it should tell you in MySKY on sky.com. Leave your router in the master socket and dont reboot it at all.
    I would get a new router anyway if I was you as you will get better wifi and it is more stable then old ones. Ideally you want to get the new router then see how it goes leaving DLM as the backup option but it all depends if you can blag a freebie.

@stevehill06 I didnt realise sky now let you use your own kit, when did that happen? It used to be a TOS violation which in theory could get you booted of bb.

Thank Post
    @stevehill06 I didnt realise sky now let you use your own kit, when did that happen? It used to be a TOS violation which in theory could get you booted of bb.
    @ZeroHour I've been using my own router for almost a year now. I got given the user details via an online chat with Sky (I got copy of it if any problems!) My broadband has been so much better since I've been using a Belkin router and not their rebrandes router.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Need to check if they started the DLM. We currently have nothing at all, apart from 10 mins here or there.

They wont send me out another router, i have now been passed onto some customer support team who deal with Openreach and to wait for 75 hours. Basically don't call us, we'll call you.

Oh and the 75 hours doesn't start until Today....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    When I joined Sky in May for Internet they were very clear you had to use the Sky router provided or else your in breach of the agreement but I do know people that do put any old router on and you can get your details out of it easy with a backup of the settings which can be integrated easily.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Need to check if they started the DLM. We currently have nothing at all, apart from 10 mins here or there.

They wont send me out another router, i have now been passed onto some customer support team who deal with Openreach and to wait for 75 hours. Basically don't call us, we'll call you.

Oh and the 75 hours doesn't start until Today....
    If you log into https://my.sky.com/mysky/myaccount/mybroadband/ it should be listed under "Your Connection Details" it should say "Testing on your broadband connection began on 12/12/2013 and will be completed within 10 days. " for example. After sky say they are turning DLM on it can take up to 72 hours to activate and show on the mysky section.

Are they actually sending an engineer round as that does seem like overkill?
    BT Openreach != BT the isp

@newpersn your line noise margin is on the low side which means your net could freeze/drop out at times. Ideally you want 6-7db noise margin but the exchange should automatically slow your sync if you drop out too much.
    Throughput wise test using iso's and a multipart downloader, EVERY broadband tester gives poor ratings generally and the best way it to see how much throughput you can get over 10 minutes. If your connection is stable but dog slow you could be on an overloaded exchange like I was, it was basically poor net for 6+ months until sky fixed the issue sadly.

15. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

newpersn (19th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, they are doing the test....would've been nice to know that on the 10th cus i've been happily rebooting it the entire time!!

I'm supposed to hear from the today....they may be hearing from the fella if not....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast