+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Bloxx - Wifi laptops not being filtered? in Technical; Hello, Ive not been in this role very long and am still very much learning the ropes, A question - ...

Thank Post

Bloxx - Wifi laptops not being filtered?

Hello,

Ive not been in this role very long and am still very much learning the ropes, A question -

We have recently left LLN and moved onto a new internet provider. All student and staff traffic passes through our BLOXX box and that has been working fine until today... It came to my attention that laptops that are used on the WiFi do not appear to be filtered and can access all sorts of sites at the moment that students should not be able to...

It is filtering all desktops no problem but if i log a student account onto a laptop i can, for example, access facebook without issue. The proxy is fed into the machine at startup via a script and i can see that the entries are present it just seems Bloxx doesnt care for filtering the lapotps requests. Im a little stumped as to why.

I know its a needle in a stack of needles kind of question given the way things could be set up but if anyone has any ideas/things to check id be grateful. Two or more heads are better than one confused head

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Hi Smellbow,

I hope all is well - it would really depend where the Bloxx appliance sits on your network and how it has been deployed (e.g. proxy only mode or in-line mode).

Can you see traffic from the wireless network hitting the Bloxx appliance (e.g. does it show in reports/live-stats?). If it does then it would be a rule that has been created either via subnet or on a policy that has no filtering in place.

It would probably be best if you gave our support team a call on 01506 425 465 or drop an email to support@bloxx.com and we can walk through the setup with you.

Cheers,
    Grant
    -=-=-
    Technical Service Manager
    Bloxx Ltd

Thank Post
    Ok, issue resolved. I can post the outcome if anyone should desire it.

EDIT - Thanks for the reply! We did speak to the Bloxx team who helped point out the issue. Credit to the team

There was an issue with a subnet mask on a custom policy that had gone unnoticed. Back to normal now, no more facebook for the kids
    Last edited by Smellbow; 27th November 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

The geeky part of me is intrigued as to what caused it so I'd like to know

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread