+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Post Leeds Learning Network / ICT4Leeds.... in Technical; Does anybody know whether or not the ICT4Leeds service is actually going ahead? The deadline for schools to pick them ...
    Thank Post

Post Leeds Learning Network / ICT4Leeds....

Does anybody know whether or not the ICT4Leeds service is actually going ahead?

The deadline for schools to pick them has now passed and the last I heard, the uptake was REALLY poor! We have got our replacement solution lined up (Virgin) but I was wondering what will happen with regards connecting to FAB, SAP and all the other services?

As far as I know we were going to be paying for some 'tokens' to access these services, will this still be the case? If so who do we buy them from if ICT4Leeds is a no-go?

Has any school who has already moved achieved access to these services? Are there any snags/caveats or problems we should be aware of?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    ICT4Leeds is going ahead. They installed their first line the week before last at one of their schools. Didn't go very smoothly from what I hear with numerous people sat around waiting for virgin to convert the line.

Other schools are being contacted to be informed of some downtime. The 'routers' in schools need to be reconfiged prior to migration day. The email claims around 15 minutes outage.

As for as I am aware, the only plan for FAB, SAP etc. is vasco tokens - which have ongoing costs. Also infobase will be chargeable.

3. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

themightymrp (18th November 2013)

Thank Post
    That's exactly what I needed to know cheers! How many schools did they get in the end? Anyone know? I imagine it must be mostly primaries as I don't know any secondary's who have opted for them?

Thank Post
    I've recently heard two numbers. Either of them or neither of them might be correct.
    62 schools in total - two of them high schools
    60 schools in total - one of them is a high school.

6. 2 Thanks to IrritableTech:

hallb15 (18th November 2013), themightymrp (18th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Similar to what I expected then, primary schools being the main users. Not too surprising really as most won't have dedicated ICT support staff to make the better choice for them

Thank Post
    We've been discussing similar issues on this thread:
    Moving away from LLN - how did it go?

All requests for access to SAP, etc are still being handled through the LLN Servicedesk at the moment. I've had the pricing through on an email, as below.

One off-set up cost per school (for 1 or more accounts) 25

InfoBase Account per user 30
    SAP, FAB, Energy Account (token access) per user
    (includes InfoBase if required) 60
    Postage of tokens per Order 5

For staff members that require InfoBase and/or token access to Council services, the Service Desk requires the person’s name, pay number and email address and the services they require.
    Please submit any requirements with a copy of the Purchase Order (payable to Leeds City Council) by email to servicedesk@leedslearning.net.
    If a school would like a back-up of their
    • Share Point site on a secure USB hard drive,
    • Email and calendar content (PST file) for all users on a secure USB hard drive
    This can be arranged but will be at a cost to the school of 790+vat for one or 990+vat for both.
    Please note that we require a minimum of 3 weeks notice for data extraction.

9. Thanks to hallb15 from:

themightymrp (19th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    I've recently heard two numbers. Either of them or neither of them might be correct.
    62 schools in total - two of them high schools
    60 schools in total - one of them is a high school.
    I've seen an email which says 67 schools are signed up with LLN.

Out of interest we're on about the 100 mark.

They certainly didn't hit their target. I remember being in the initial meetings saying they'd get at least 80% of all schools when I think they are going to be nearer 20%.

Dave

Thank Post
    i thought it was nearer 35 have a list somewhere. you can understand why people tell them to take a hike when it takes them a month to open ports for target tracker and their interim solution was basically go home. had a school needing it for parents evening using my phone to get the data beforehand

i actually dont see how it can be financially viable

Thank Post
    We had the ICT4Leeds service installed at our school before Christmas. We have 1:1 contention on our line as there is no longer a single 700mb connection. Each school gets it own dedicated point to point link. The service has been fantastic so far and we have the ability to manage our own office 365 and Smoothwall.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moderator View Post
    We had the ICT4Leeds service installed at our school before Christmas. We have 1:1 contention on our line as there is no longer a single 700mb connection. Each school gets it own dedicated point to point link. The service has been fantastic so far and we have the ability to manage our own office 365 and Smoothwall.
    but the schools i have with it now have effectively an 8mb connection rather than the old 10 as 20% is reserved fpr council services and getting logmein enabled was a faf their reasons they dont like it are what makes it useful. not impressed ep after being told a school has 1 network not 2 in all the docs they had no idea now to make it work right when on site and had to spend hours massaging settings

Thank Post
    We still have an LLN line in use but are gradually moving people over to our new Virgin connection (100Mb line ) which seems to be working great! We moved everyone onto Office 365 ourselves almost a year ago now - not LLN/ICT4Leeds provided, just ours. We are also using a combination of Bloxx web filtering and a Palo Alto firewall, both of which can be managed by us.

Can't wait to get rid of the old connection once and for all!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moderator View Post
    I'm genuinely pleased that you're pleased. My worry for those schools that stuck by the council would be continued poor service and a long contract. Long may your happiness continue. One of the schools we support have gone this way - they're not live yet but communication has been poor up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but the schools i have with it now have effectively an 8mb connection rather than the old 10 as 20% is reserved fpr council services and getting logmein enabled was a faf their reasons they dont like it are what makes it useful. not impressed ep after being told a school has 1 network not 2 in all the docs they had no idea now to make it work right when on site and had to spend hours massaging settings
    Have you looked at the smoothwall VPN rather than logmein? Surely as SW is ICT4Leeds approved product this should be easier to convince them of it's worth?

Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    We still have an LLN line in use but are gradually moving people over to our new Virgin connection (100Mb line ) which seems to be working great! We moved everyone onto Office 365 ourselves almost a year ago now - not LLN/ICT4Leeds provided, just ours. We are also using a combination of Bloxx web filtering and a Palo Alto firewall, both of which can be managed by us.

Can't wait to get rid of the old connection once and for all!!!
    We're in a very similar position (as you probably know!). We are keeping a few users on our LLN connection for two reasons. Get some value out of the SLA we've already paid, and defer the cost of vasco tokens & infobase account (Oh, have you all heard infobase is being replaced now before April?) for as long as we can.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Oh, have you all heard infobase is being replaced now before April?
    Not heard about InfoBase being replaced?? Heard about a change to AVCO and how they are opening it up for any school in Leeds regardless of ISP. You got any details you can share?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Not heard about InfoBase being replaced?? Heard about a change to AVCO and how they are opening it up for any school in Leeds regardless of ISP. You got any details you can share?
    you have pm not sure its something i ought to post in public

got logmein working its because we support schools in leeds and bradford so we want 1 standard for all servers logmein is the best weve used so not interested (much) in smoothwall vpn as i dont want/need vpn access just console access to the server(s)
    Last edited by sted; 6th February 2014 at 11:41 AM.

18. Thanks to sted from:

themightymrp (6th February 2014)

Thank Post
    I'd got that info about AVCO already thanks mate, it was more what @IrritableTech said about a change to InfoBase I was interested in. Unless that's what he meant?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast