+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, iOS devices, wifi and our proxy setup - how to get things working?! in Technical; Hello, hello. Bit of a toss-up where to post this, but given the wifi side of it is working I ...

Thank Post

iOS devices, wifi and our proxy setup - how to get things working?!

Hello, hello. Bit of a toss-up where to post this, but given the wifi side of it is working I guess the internet section is the best place to start.

I'm doing some testing with iOS devices and have successfully link a couple to our network through a RADIUS implementation managed on NPS on a Server 2012 box. I've used the iphone configurator to create and distribute a package of settings that allow the iOS devices to find and connect to an access point and authenticate against our RADIUS server. This part works fine.

The problem comes when accessing the internet. The distributed package of settings includes the IP address of our filtering proxy server and it seems the Safari browser works nicely with this. Other apps seem to ignore these settings completely, however - for instance the built-in mail app on an iPad Mini can't retrieve mail at all, as if it is ignoring the proxy settings.

Our proxy set up involves a Protex server running in a VM which forwards traffic on to a Cachepilot box, which then forwards traffic on to our broadband connection and Norfolk County Council's systems. I can't set the devices to connect directly to the internet (we don't have this option and it wouldn't be wise, anyway) so must look for a work around. Any advice on the best way to resolve this issue?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Welcome to iOS...

Most apps ignore proxy settings, we manually set details on devices here. Mail normally works for us though.

Thank Post
    I used Meraki on 2 devices the wifi and proxy settings worked for the app store, email and safari.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread